In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock Pre-ban magazines - what are they worth

BillSoTxBillSoTx Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I've noticed on GB auction that Glock (factory) pre-ban hi-cap magazines, both non-full metal lined and full metal lined, are frequently listed for $50+. Why are these mags priced so high?

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No idea.
    They don't come close to that around here.

CP
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New York sales, probably. Everywhere else they are selling for $20-$30.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Many thanks.

Bill
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Massachusetts as well. ~50ish here for good condition pre bans.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, they love to stick it to us here in NY, and other states the ban did not sunset in. Even to some extent, that some reconditioned distributors like CDNN, will not ship even pre-ban's to NY, as they are too LAZY to sort them.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK. You have my interest now.

I've got half a ruck of pre-bans; about 50 of them are non-full metal lined orange (so-called training mags). I'll part with some; list them on GB auction.

What's the legal way to ship to places like NY, MA, etc.? I'm not an FFL.

I appreciate your replies.

Bill
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that in some states that did not sunset the law, you cannot legally ship them. CA is an example.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason for the high prices is because some states have banned "importation" of high capacity magazines, and never revoked those laws even after expiration of the Clinton Gun Ban.

So in those states, magazines that plausibly could have been in-State prior to the ban are legal, and in the case of Glocks, where the magazine configuration has actually changed over the years, the "pre-ban" magazines are worth more.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    there is no legal way to import them into mass. they are contraband.

that being said, if they by miracle appear in this state, and are verifiable prebans, then you have some dollars.

Glockpre-bans123and4only-1.jpg

we can have 1,2,3 and 4 for sure. because of the way glock makes magazines, there are gen 5's that are actually technically prebans, but theres no way to prove it, so they are suspect and to be avoided. 6,7,8 are decidedly post ban and cant be owned except by leo.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have high capacity glock mags
    that I bought new within the year.
    Is this a collector's thing or are
    they better than the new ones?
    I could see if they were 100 yrs old.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    I have high capacity glock mags
    that I bought new within the year.
    Is this a collector's thing or are
    they better than the new ones?
    I could see if they were 100 yrs old.

No, not a collectors thing. It relates to states where the 10 round magazin capacity did not go away. Only the magazines that were made before the federal law was enacted in 1994, that have more than a capacity of 10 rounds(pre-ban), and 10 round maximum capacity magazines are allowed in those states. Get caught selling new production, high capacity magazines into those states, and you go to jail. On the otherhand, if you have a bunch of pre-ban magazines you want to get rid of, you can make money, by scalping us poor folks in those states.

Best
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill, technically, the way to determine to which states you can ship hi-cap mags is to look it up in ATF P5300.5 (State Laws and Published Ordinances: Firearms). But, some state & local laws are so complex & confusing they make my head spin, especially MA, NY, IL, & CA. If you cannot determine to your satisfaction that such shipment is legal, the safest thing to do is to demand that the buyer arrange delivery to his local dealer; you can never get into trouble shipping to an FFL.

Neal
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Among the many silly freekin laws[:(]