In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

5100 won't cock hammers

rlamk4rlamk4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I sent my Stevens 5100 receiver, barrels and forarm hardware out for hot salt bluing. When I received them back and assembled the barrels and forarm the gun would not open. The gun will open with the forarm off. The receiver internals were apparently taken out by the bluing outfit prior to bluing but must have not been reassembled correctly. Where should I look for the error? The gun functioned correctly prior to this. Thanks Andy.

Comments

• Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you SURE they took all the pieces out? this sounds like a classic case of not taking it apart before bluing. if every single part want taken out, especially with salt bluing, it will " weld " the pieces in place. you are basically going to have to completely dissasemble the gun and go from there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am sure the internals were removed prior to bluing. Reciever is clean and had been lubed during reassembly. They have a gun smith remove the internals prior to bluing.
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    okay, then i would go to numrichs web site and do a search for your gun. they will have a parts break-down of where everything goes, and you can hopefully figure out what is put together wrong.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to tell whats wrong from here, its a hands on thing. How tight is the lockup? Perhaps with the forearm off there is enough play for the unit to open. Maybe the finish thickness is binding it up a little, open and close it several times. Look at the forearm hardware screws, might tighten/loosen them little. Could be the cocking plunger. Go slow, be gentle.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=5547
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie:
    That is for sure some excellent advice. The internals of a box lock can be tough on patients. Andy.