In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fusnot ammunition

westtexasbob81452westtexasbob81452 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have come across two cartridges that have a nipple protruding from the base of the cartridge. I can read the word Fusnot on the bottom. I was wondering how old these are and if they are worth anything. Thanks WTB

Comments

• Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    friend of mine had a revolver made somewhere around 1847? that took that kind of ammo. it is pinfire ammo. he had about a dozen rds with the gun, but never tried to fire it. they are black powder rds, and doubt they would fire. there only value i would say is to a collector. maybe worth a few bucks each. the pinfires came in many different sizes, all measured in milimeters, as they were all originally french or belgium guns.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, my crystal ball is in the shop for calibration and an oil change- and we DO need pictures to tell just what you have- BUT-Charles Fusnot & Cie were cartridge makers in Belgium in the 1870s.

Is the "nipple" sticking out at a right angle to the base? If so you may have a pinfire cartridge. Please see the sticky over on Ask the Experts for posting picture.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A photo would be good.

From the description, it could be a teat fire, but more likely a pinfire.

Best,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    westtexasbob81452westtexasbob81452 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I believe your right about it being a pinfire. I am at work right now but when I get home I will get some pictures of them and post them. The research I did on them shows they are Fusnot Bruxellus. They made different caliber pinfire ammunition back in the mid 1800's. Thanks again and I will send photo's later. WTB