In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning Medalist

dude1951dude1951 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a Browning 22lr semi automatic target pistol.It is being sold as a Medalist which means it should have a "T" in the serial #.The trouble is that the letter in the Serial # is a "U" which according to the information I got shows it to be a Challenger model.The seller states that it dosen't matter what the letter is.I'm wondering if Browning put out a Challenger to look like the Medalist, or is it a Challenger with Medalist handgrips and barrel wood put on it after the fact? The pistol comes complete with Browning carry case,barrel weights, and screwdriver and is in excellent condition,no wear. Any information on value or origin of this gun would be appreciated,I'm sorry that I don't have the rest of the serial # to give but I know that it was made in 1965. Regards Jim

Comments

• dude1951dude1951 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, does anyone know where I can get
    a pair of plain jane Medalist grips and
    do Browning challenger grips fit the Medalist?
    Thank you
    Ron
    edited November -1
    I'm a long-time Browning fan and own several. I would love to purchase a Medalist 22 pistol. My problem is that I'm a lefty. Did Browning ever make these with left-hand grips? I've never seen one in years of looking.
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning Medalist and case. The label in the case says St. Louis. I have noticed many labels on other guns that say Morgan, Utah. My question is what years were they made in St. Louis and will mine be worth more than one made in Utah? I don't have the serial number as the gun is in a different town.
    edited November -1
    How much are .22 medalist,challenger,nomad in very good condition worth. How suitable are they for recreational target shooting.What are common problems.
    edited November -1
    I have a left handed Browning medalist standard model with a renaissance barrel.It was made in the last year of production. Were any of these pistols shipped from Browning with this variant? The historian at Browning could not verify this.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Back in the '70,s a friend had one for sale. I didn't buy it because he was left handed and the right hand grips would have cost me about $40 back then.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Hello,I've been looking for an inexpensive set
    of LH grips for a Medalist.
    I don't think they exist.
  • uncle milouncle milo Member Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes factory grips were available. I am a lefty and ordered mine with the lefty grips. It even came with the proper left hand box to accommodate the lefty grips. Gave the gun to my son who is right handed And found the proper grip and box for him here on GB. If i remember right it cost me about $200.00 to convert it for him
    edited November -1
    Thanks guy...........I'll keep looking
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Yes, they are available as I have seen them on Ebay from time to time. Just have to keep looking! Good luck!
  • txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Dude, you may just be in luck. I was in the Jackson Armory about 5 weeks ago and they have a left handed medalist in the box. Being as it's a lefty, they probably still have it. May want to give them a call. Just google jackson armory in Dallas, TX.
  • nitsa216nitsa216 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is a dealer that I believe bought all the existing stock from Browning for Nomads, Challengers and Medalists. He sets up every spring at Tulsa gun show, ( upstairs along main aisle ) Not only does he have a selection of right and left hand grips for medalists he can match to your forearm. Don't have his name, but you may find someone going to Tulsa show in a few weeks that can get what you need. He may have an web page, have you tried locating on internet?
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    The Medalist parts man id Nick Riggo, Sr from St Louis. Google his name.