In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bead off on shot gun

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
Grand son traded for an old Stevens 850B? pump and the front bead is off to the left side at least 1/8 of an inch. Thought the barrel had been turned but the extractors line up in the grooves milled in the barrel so that's not it. Any ideas why and how? Barrel has not been cut because it is the maximum length made for that gun.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory slip up. It happens. A buddy bought a Ruger 30 carbine pistol and the front sight was crocked. He sent it back to them, they sent it back "What do mean the sight is crooked?" and it was in fact no longer crooked. A salesman at a local box store showed me a new in the box S&W 22 kit gun of the later production run, the cylinder was never finished for the chambers and it wouldn't chamber ammo. I wonder how it was test fired?

added After farther research it was a special order option for a guy that had a lazy eye or a bad shoulder/neck and need to cant the shotgun to get it into shooting position.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But this thing is very very old. Probably older than me if thats possible.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They sometimes made mistakes in the old days too...
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Hawes Single Action Clone mfg by J P Saur which had the front sight set to the left of the barrel, thought the barrel had been turned but the groove the sight was in was perpendicular to the rear sight, not canted as it would have been had it been turned. Not real noticeable at first but after seeing it that was all one could see.

Funny thing was, it shot to point of aim quite accurately.

So, yeah, it happens.

Dan R
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my father bought a pre-64 Winchester 94 in 30-30 of his boss at work who said he couldn't hit anything with it. Dad tried an found sight was off centre contacted Winchester an they had him send it it an fixed it no charge an this was last year. so it could have come from factory that way
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Similar situation with myself 50 years ago. Bead came off my first shotgun. I was all
    Bummed out. My uncle explained to me how I would never hit anything aiming with
    A shot gun. He took me aside , showed me how to stand, mount the gun , swing and shoot with both eyes open and focused ahead of the moving game. You don't point the gun where you want to shoot , you shoot where your looking. Best thing that ever happen to me was loosing that bead....
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    But this thing is very very old. Probably older than me if thats possible.

It must be a flinter[:0]