In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trailboss gunsmith service

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone here ever use or know anything of Trailboss gunsmiths out of Sierra Vista, AZ? Spoke with them about a complete wood and blue restoration of a Winchester pre 64 70. Anyone recommend any gunsmiths for a total restoration?

Comments

• Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    A little strange since one of the guns pictured is a vintage WGP Sniper paintball marker.

Edit: mods feel free to delete if needed, I usually play on the other side of the house and forgot where I was browsing.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like what you want is a top quality refinish job. There are some good folks out there, but I haven't seen any better than Doug Turnbull. Check out their website.

Neal

"Once torn, never mended."
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wolfpack,

No offense to the service you are inquiring about but their website does not inspire me with the confidence that I require in order to commit any of my Model 70's to restoration.

I can suggest a couple of others for you to check out thoroughly:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/CTGY/winchester-model-70-gunsmithing

http://www.evo-rifles.com/index.html

I wouldn't recommend Turnbull for anything less than a collector grade rifle or shotgun. He is simply to expensive for the average shooter to afford for less than collector work.

Best.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I do want a top notch service. Called Turnbull's and inquired,this has been a few months ago but they told me that they do not do Winchester model 70's. Also asked Midwest just yesterday and they cannot perform services that I want. Checkering needs to be recut and they do not do this. Also I wanted the receiver to be the duller matte type finish as it should be. The gentleman I spoke with told me they could only cerakote the receiver, I do not want this. I would just not like it polished as highly as the barrel and other metal parts. Reason I asked about Trailboss is they just added a gunsmith from the Georgetown KY area, Bill Mckay, and when I spoke with him he seemed very knowledgeable and claims he has 37 yrs experience. When he was in Ky he had major work form several large outfits. I believe I will ask to seem some pics of his work.