In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

191 gripa and lower corner notch

lock stock and barrellock stock and barrel Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
why are 1911 grips always notched for the pin where the main spring is located???

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you can remove the pin and take out the mainspring housing without taking the grips off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so how often does that pin get removed or adjusted??
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pistol needs no tools to take it apart. Roll around in a slimy trench of take cover in a shell or bomb crater full of muck and you will be thankful to have easy access to the innards.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to do a full detail strip and clean once a year for me,
    I would think the grips were spec'd that way for ease of removal of the mainspring housing under field conditions, where you might save time, and also have one less thing to lose, the grip screws.
    I think 95 % of all owners of a 1911 style pistol have never removed the pin and mainspring housing.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Well tank78Z I am surely one of those 5% that has [:D] one needs to remove the main spring housing to then be able to remove the 3 leaf spring this in turn alllow you to use the three leaf spring to turn the small screw in the Magazine release To remove the magazine release to then be able to remove the trigger. As Charlie 007 stated many military small arms are purpose built to need no tools or very few tools to take apart to clean [^]

EDIThello Lock ,Stock,& Barrel. Grips for a 1911 style pistol are plentiful and Cheap Cheap cheap The top end is much more complicated for fit You have the magazine release 1/2 moon cut out and the safety /slide stop pin Plunger tube to contend with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info
    I,ll go ahead and make some homade grip panels..
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lock stock and barrel
    thanks for the info
    I,ll go ahead and make some homade grip panels..

WHY [?][?] When mag well stock panels are plentiful [;)]