In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Sight ID

RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me what the rear sight on the right fits? Bonus points if you can identify the front sights from my terrible photo. Thanks!

IMG_1542_zps5dbe21b6.jpg

PerryShooter: I own three 41s and of course they all have different sights. The one on the right, made I think in 1984, does have a set screw. The original sights on the middle pistol work best for my eyes. The 90s model on the left also has a set screw but it is hidden under the assembly. That sight actually loosened and fell off once during firing. Needless to say it is my least favorite of the 41s.

IMG_1558_zps336fd31b.jpg
IMG_1561_zps4f1b24f7.jpg

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I believe they are sights used on a model 41 bull barrel . Not the 7 inch model model 52 38 special semi auto. But to tell you the truth Look like aftermarket for that same type pistol I have never seen Factory Front sights like that but Could also be after market fot those two pistols also Do you know history of the guns or any other facts on the sights[?] I have never seen a factory sight with set screw to loch in place in the dove tail .
    EDITIt is funny how different people like different thing even when as small as a rear sight blade. I was so used to a High Standard and BOMAR sight that the rounded back of the rear sight on the long barrel Model 41 was too BUSY I got too involved at looking at all the different surfaces and forgot to,look at the front sight. I put off red dots until the 1990's but they have keep me in the game for the last 20 years. The red dot can be a great training aid as most people can see their mistakes When the red COMET streaks across the target under recoil where with Iron sights they keep making the same Jerking the trigger mistake but never see it. However the red dot can also be mentally hard on you when you develop the shakes [:(]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The '90,s model looks like a Bomar type sight. The far right is the '80,s S&W sight. They had four different ones over the years.
    Here's some info.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/223962-model-41-rear-sights-show-them-me.html