In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94 problem

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Winchester 94 in 30wcf, pre 1964 model. I got a good price for it because the loading gate will not depress to allow a bullet to be loaded into the magazine tube.

1. I am not sure if it was disassembled and put back together wrong.
2. I am not sure if the loading gate is the original one or if its from a post 64 rifle.
3. I do not know if the magazine tube is original to the rifle.

Does anyone here know a fix for this?
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I saw a nice Winchester M94 for sale today at a good price. Only problem is that the pin under the action lever doesn't go through to activate the trigger block and as a result the gun will fire without being in complete lock-up. How dangerous is this, and how hard and expensive would this be for me to fix? This 94 is the antique model with a serial number in the 3,500,000 range. Any help appreciated and thanks for any replies.
    RLTW

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Rifles-42602/94Series-40353/94Pre64-34346.htm?results=All

The answer is to take it apart and see what is wrong. Proper fitting screwdrivers are a must. Investing some of your savings in the purchase might be well spent with the services of a local gunsmith.

added It has been a long time since I worked on a per 64 but my AE 94 has had loading port issues with spring or the cartridge guide being loose or tightened down in the wrong position. Could be the follower in the mag tube. You really need hands "on" to figure it out.

added 2 It could be hitting the lifter. The lifter is broken off short in my AE. The right cartridge guide had a crack screw hole and someone forced the lever. I'll weld a fitted extencion on in the spring.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am thinking that a live round might be stuck under the elevator, behind the loading gate. Proceed with caution.

Actually the best thing you can do, is take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith, who has the PROPER screwdrivers to take it apart. If you insist on the DIY method, start by removing the barrel bands, forearm, magazine button, magazine spring, and follower, then magazine tube...in that order. You should then be able to see why that gate will not depress.

Best
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking Tim is exactly right, a loaded round stuck under the elevator. Take it to a good gunsmith, not Bubba.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965 start by removing the barrel bands, forearm, magazine button, magazine spring, and follower, then magazine tube...in that order.
    Best

WRONG

First thing, open the action (if possible), but whatever, keep barrel pointed in as safe a direction as possible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965 start by removing the barrel bands, forearm, magazine button, magazine spring, and follower, then magazine tube...in that order.
    Best

WRONG

First thing, open the action (if possible), but whatever, keep barrel pointed in as safe a direction as possible.

Most likely, if he was able to open the action in the first place, he would most likely not be posting this question, as he could then see why it was hanging up the loading gate.

This is not my first dance with Winchester's, and this problem. I did say the best thing to do first is take it to a Knowledgeable Gunsmith.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rifle functions fine. There is no live round under the loading gate.

Other than the loading gate not being able to depress the rifle is fine.

Edit:
    the loading gate is the correct one. It move a little but will not go all the way in to allow a cartridge to be inserted into the nag tube.
    RLTW

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Won't open at all, or takes a real hard push to open?
    The follower can hang up slightly under the loading gate, as can a case head, which will make it hard(er) to open.
  • Options
    Texas BearTexas Bear Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have rebuilt about 100 W94 pre 64's. It could well be a bullet under the loading gate, jammed in there, or someone placing an incorrect follower in the magazine which has slipped in. Or just something out of place. As mentioned above, if you do not know what you are doing take it to a gunsmith what knows the W94. You should not take any chance. The worst thing to deal with is a live round stuck inside a gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Texas Bear
    I have rebuilt about 100 W94 pre 64's. It could well be a bullet under the loading gate, jammed in there, or someone placing an incorrect follower in the magazine which has slipped in. Or just something out of place. As mentioned above, if you do not know what you are doing take it to a gunsmith what knows the W94. You should not take any chance. The worst thing to deal with is a live round stuck inside a gun.

I pulled the magazine spring and follower out and its not the follower. It appears that the gate is hitting the cartridge lifter. What would cause this?

Again for the 5th time there is no cartridge in the rifle, under the follower in the mag tube or anywhere. I have checked numerous times. This is a mechanical problem.

Update: I looked at another M94 I have and it appears that the lifter is not going down all the way in the problem rifle. Anyone know what would cause this. Should I disassemble it and put it mack together to see if it was no put together properly? I hate to do that because it is a pain.

Suggestions?
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Again for the 5th time...take it to someone who knows Winchesters. Sounds like it could have a broken or worn elevator, or it might even be a Frankenchester.

Best