In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High quality screws needed

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
Some of the hex screws included with ring sets are shallow, misshaped hunks of junk. Reluctantly I have started to accept the superiority of TORX screws for these applications.

Where can I get high quality blued TORX head screws in the sizes used in scope mounts?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think Brownell's would have what you seek. Tocoma Screw are nice helpful folks.

http://www.brownells.com/

http://www.tacomascrew.com/
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google "fastenal" (fastenal.com)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

Google "fastenal" (fastenal.com)

+1000
    almost same as the link I posted.
    You get 100 screws for $4.99.
    GRADE 8 !!!!

Just a tip.... I made up a "screw tool" for shortening little screws to required lengths.

Took a 1/4" thick flat stock steel about 8" long and 1/2" wide. Drilled and tapped 4 of the most used size holes in one end and wrapped rubber tape around the other for a handle.
    Screw the longer screw into the correct hole and then grind it against your grinding wheel to your needed length.

When you back out the screw, the threaded hole will "clean" up the new cut end threads and the steel acts like a heat sink to maintain the heat treating of the grade 8 screw.
    [8D]
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re babun:
    I do nearly the same thing, but I counter bore the plate
    for the screw heads and grind off the excess on a surface grinder.
    (00-100's and 0-80's are a pain)
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The firearm industry, on the majority of the screws and bolts use a different thread rate...like and example on a lot of base screws these days are 8-40. I am not sure what most ring cap screws are these days, but I gotta believe it is something similar. I would try Brownells first, then Sinclair second. Perhaps even go to some of the manufacturers like Burris, Leupold, etc to buy some.

Being in the fasteners industry somewhat, going to fasteners-express, Fastenal, Lawson, Grainger, MSC, you will wind up just like you have now, with cheap, across the pond, junk.

Best
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A gizzy made from 2 pieces of steel banding material holes small screws for hand grinding to length.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The firearm industry, on the majority of the screws and bolts use a different thread rate...like and example on a lot of base screws these days are 8-40. I am not sure what most ring cap screws are these days, but I gotta believe it is something similar. I would try Brownells first, then Sinclair second. Perhaps even go to some of the manufacturers like Burris, Leupold, etc to buy some.

Being in the fasteners industry somewhat, going to fasteners-express, Fastenal, Lawson, Grainger, MSC, you will wind up just like you have now, with cheap, across the pond, junk.

Best

Your post is actually 180 degrees backwards.
    By going to the scope manufacturers, you will be getting the SAME screws that are the problem. "One use only", then a mangled tool slot/hole.

All of the above mentioned suppliers offer GRADE 8 screws. These are about the second strongest "normally" available hardware.
    L9 aircraft hardware is better, but you will
    pay for the testing done on them for aircraft
    qualifications.
    Being in the high performance engine and chassis business of over 24 years, one learns the absolute need for good hardware.
    There was a time when I wouldn't use anything less than grade 8 even for the valve cover bolts.

While many suppliers don't list the finer thread used on many gun screws, they can and often have them in stock. And most are available in black oxide coating which is bluing on steroids.