In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 1873 .357

DecoysDecoys Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Good evening! I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I currently have a model 94 chambered in 30-30 and have yet to hunt with it. I've become interested in the model 1873 chambered in .357 and would like to hear any feedback about the 1873, especially in this caliber.

Also, can someone give me a ballpark idea of what a 10 year model 94 is worth that has had 6 rounds shot through it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=027c

I use to shoot a 76 in 45-60. I have a 94 AE in 44 mag, makes a nice companion for the brace of S&W 29's.

Anything past the one round at the factory doesn't help value. Closet dings, rusty finger prints, scratches... all take their toll. Good box and paperwork helps. See the sticky for pic posting instructions.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    73 was designed for low pressure, black powder cartridges. The modern Italian replicas, use the same toggle mechanism. I wouldn't push your luck with high velocity, high pressure, modern .357 ammo. Specifically made for use in much stronger modern rifles. Like Marlin's and Model 92 Winchesters.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The newer 1873's, made in Japan, at the Miroku plant, under license from Winchester, might be OK. However, I would suggest going on the auction side, and try to find the same, but in the 1892 configuration.

They are simply much stronger, and will not give any problems.

Best
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Rossi M92 in .357 and once you smooth them out, they're great rifles.
    The .357 has practically no recoil and it is a .357 after all so you could hunt deer with it at an appropriate distance no problems. barrel options are round, octagon and length.

004_zpse71579b1.jpg
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info folks. I've looked at the 1873s on GunBroker and they appear to be nice guns. However, it's difficult to consider paying over $1,000 for a Winchester made in Japan and sell my 30-30 made here in the U.S. that is in excellent condition. I think I'll just hang onto the 30-30.

Buckshot, for your Rossi M92, you mention "once you smooth them out, they're great rifles". Can you clarify what you mean? I've read some posts on this site about issues with the firing pin and safety coming off. Have you had those issues with your M92?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I'VE HAD A ROSSI FOR QUITE SOME TIME (18 YEARS), AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. SMOOTH AS MOST '92 WINCHESTERS AND YOU CAN LOAD IT FROM BOTH ENDS [:D] (HAS A RELOADABLE TUBE MAGAZINE LIKE A .22)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mike. Do you know the difference between the 56001, 56002 and 56008?
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Decoys
    Thanks for all the info folks. I've looked at the 1873s on GunBroker and they appear to be nice guns. However, it's difficult to consider paying over $1,000 for a Winchester made in Japan and sell my 30-30 made here in the U.S. that is in excellent condition. I think I'll just hang onto the 30-30.

Buckshot, for your Rossi M92, you mention "once you smooth them out, they're great rifles". Can you clarify what you mean? I've read some posts on this site about issues with the firing pin and safety coming off. Have you had those issues with your M92?

I've had no mechanical issues whatsoever, They are a well built, accurate and durable rifle. The issue with Rossi's is that the parts are a little rough (sometimes) on new rifles, some polishing of some of the parts helps them run better, that's all.
    I got hold of a video from stevesGunz (www.stevesgunz.com). and "tuned" mine up as per his instructions and it's as slick as a bucket of eels.
    He also sells a bunch of parts and accessories for them as well.

009_zps765d548e.jpg
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"