In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question on Colt SAA numbers

dsmc1dsmc1 Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a first generation SAA Colt. It came with a Colt Letter saying that the SN 150199 was mfd and shipped in 1893. the numbers on the Trigger guard have been partially obliterated, but don't seem to match. However the number 1323 appears on both the loading gate AND on the frame, under the trigger guard. No numbers on the cylinder at all.
Hope an SAA expert can tell me what THOSE numbers mean. A Factory repair, possibly?
See pix on the Auction listing:
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=456086471
BTW, I replaced a broken Trigger/stop spring to resolve the issue with the cylinder not locking up.
Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The loading gate and frame has a separate number then the serial number
    They are the assembly number only but should match
  • Options
    dsmc1dsmc1 Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They DO match, thanks. Had Heard of assembly numbers, but didn't know what it actually meant. Had assumed I had mismatched parts.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have seen people walk into a gun show with a single action they want to sell and see table holders tell them their gun is MISMATCHED [V][:(!] and offer a very low price The only thing lower is someone trying to pull that kind of scam.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have seen people walk into a gun show with a single action they want to sell and see table holders tell them their gun is MISMATCHED [V][:(!] and offer a very low price The only thing lower is someone trying to pull that kind of scam.

+1

I was at a show, when a guy walked in with a bag full (literally) of pistols that were still damp from storage in some basement corner or other. There were percussion Colts and Remingtons and a 6-inch Luger. The guy simply stepped up to the first table and asked the operator to identify the guns. The operator took the first one, a small-framed percussion Colt, and told him it was a Colt Navy. I know you're not supposed to jump in, but I did, and pointed out that the operator was reading a partially-obliterated 'New York', as 'Navy'. The operator actually did not know the difference between a Navy and a Pocket. I told the guy with the guns to find someone with a table full of percussion revolvers, and the operator got pizzed. Oh, well.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    There was an episode of "Pawn Stars" where a guy brought in a nice Colt SAA. Their firearms "expert", Sean, examined the revolver and declared that the loading gate was replaced because the "serial number" inside didn't match the rest of the gun. Rick bought the gun for a song due to the "replaced" part.

I was literally yelling at my TV screen: "That's an assembly number, you idiot! Look under the trigger guard, Mr. Expert!" [:D]