In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Believe to be Civil War Cannon Ball & Buckle

WinnlexWinnlex Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert on cannon balls, but that one appears to have a plug. There were cannon balls that were filled with an explosive charge. I would very gently take it outside-as far away from anyone as you can, and call your local bomb squad. Several "experts" have been killed trying to disarm these.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,765 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have to agree have it deactivated you may loose the ball but better it than the family

quote:Originally posted by Bill DeShivs
    I'm no expert on cannon balls, but that one appears to have a plug. There were cannon balls that were filled with an explosive charge. I would very gently take it outside-as far away from anyone as you can, and call your local bomb squad. Several "experts" have been killed trying to disarm these.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to have missed the plug in the ball,what is the dia. of the ball ? They have ground that seam off of the ball very nicely if thats what it is.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Excellent advice to get it checked out. A few years ago, there was a Civil War expert in Richmond, Va. who had deactivated a number of those explosive balls. He made a mistake one time, possibly making a spark while opening the ball, and it went off. The explosion killed him instantly and blew his garage and part of his house into oblivion.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHAT THEY SAID UP THERE ^^^.

There were shot (solid iron) and there was shell- a hollow sphere filled with black powder, and a timing fuse that ignited on firing. I cannot tell from photos what you have, and if its teeth have been pulled.

It was not uncommon for us to find 100+ yr old ordnance that was still live- and deadly.
  • Options
    WinnlexWinnlex Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OH WOW!!! Will Get Checked Out!! Thank you all for the heads up!
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe set that in a tub of water in the meantime.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not fool with that thing. I have a "know it all" younger brother who wanted to show/tell me all about several plugged cannon balls. Having my suspicions, but reminding myself that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, I suggested that he, the idiot who brought them into his own house, gently remove them far from any occupied areas. I then had one of our EOD guys come up to take a look. Mr. Wonderful was sure surprised when, after being moved to a safe demo area, two of the three went boom.

As old Sean Connery said, "Therein lieth the lesson."
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your buckle appears to be Civil war correct.
    Should be worth about $200 and up.