In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many times?

37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know how many times a person can safely reload the .300 win-mag?...i do a full case resize after every fireing (heard this wasnt the best thing to do with this calliber) but brass is fairly inexpensive..the next time i reload it will be the 4th time the brass has been fully resized...my loads i've been using are a 2.5 grains less than max...should i start thinking about getting new brass?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    it depends on how tight your chamber is (how much you have to resize the brass). if you are shooting a bolt action i'd back off the resizing die a half turn and see how it works. I've run some batches of brass 50 reloadings by just neck sizing.
  • bald_cobald_co Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using the rounds in the same gun, you should only be neck sizing and case triming. I'm shooting WWII 30-06 brass (light load/ cast bullets) over 100 times before they crack. Neck sizing is better for accuracy anyway.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others have said, far better to neck size if you have a bolt action. If you are doing this in a different sort of action you will have to continue to f/l size. I'm not on a first name basis with this cartridge, but you can put a fairly stiff wire down the empty cases and feel if there is an incipient separation before it appears on the exterior of the round. Watch the neck ID and OAL of your brass, also. As you shoot magnum loads, the brass flows forward, thickening and extending the neck, both of which must be corrected from time to time to be safe.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    37Rangemaster,

I generally used to load belted magnums 4-5 times when full length sizing. I got really spooked when I found out about case separation just above the belt.

The way to extend that of course is to neck size only and that way the case will headspace on the shoulder not the belt. A collet type die helps even more. Also, loading down a bit never hurts. You still need to take a long thin caliper of some kind and see if you are getting a weak band there. Even just lightly running a dental pick up the side would tell you. It should remain smooth up the side. A weak case will give a slight indentation. Anyways that's just something to look for. I've always found that to be more of the problem than thin necks and splits there. -Good luck
  • 37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies guys[:)]
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my personal practice and opinion but for what it's worth, here goes. First, What will your reloads be used for? Hunting or target practice? Second, what kind of rifle?
    I limit my hunting loads to no more than 5 reloads after which, if everything still seems fine, I give the brass a rest and use it for lower powered target and range work. With rifles like my early Mannlicher that, despite it's incredible workmanship, has a design that handles gas leaks not well at all, I limit my shooting, in the woods OR at the range, to 3 to 5 reloads and I check for separation religiously. One face full of hot gas is enough for me.
    Good luck.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A belted magnum case is not a great choice for reloading if you are interested in a lot of case life. Don't be surprised if you see signs of case head separation after just a couple of full power loads. If the head separates, you'll be stuck with the rest of the case stuck in the chamber.
  • almanacalmanac Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can neck size all you want, but it is still wise to full length them every couple loads. In my 300, full loads, full legth size every time, I have a tight chamber and if I need a fast follow up shot I don't like to have to force the bolt down. And I am on my 8th reload with 150 pieces with no signs of weakness or seperation.