In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.45 acp

kick start itkick start it Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Are there any revolvers which will fire .45acp? And are there any special clips which will adapt .45acp to another caliber like the .45LC, etc. And if there are, do they work better than adapting a magazine to an SKS?[?]

Comments

• kick start itkick start it Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im interested in 200gr .45acp rounds and just the bullets for my 1911 and S&W revolver. My question is being that 230gr is the standard will the 200gr bullets shoot and group the same considering I will be shooting hot loads like Hornady and or Corbon ?[?]

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
    edited November -1
    any comments on llama 1911 .45s any good? what fits? any colt parts ????? sure looks cheap, dont know much any thing about them, or maybe the rock island ?? any thoughts? thanks for any info.[?][}:)]
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Llama has been out of business for a while now. Although they appear cosmetically similar to the U.S. made 1911's, generally the parts weren't interchangeable. Although they had a reputation for mediocre quality, some of the military contract pistols they made for the Spanish Army were first class, and highly priced when they were sold on the U.S. market.

Best to save your money and buy a U.S. made 1911. The Rock Island pistols are made in the P.I. and have a spotty reputation.
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Just my opinion. The Llamas are a real crap shoot. Some are nice, some are junk. Every once in a while the parts they put together seemed to function fine. There are no USGI or Colt issue parts in them, all Llama made. From what I have heard, the fitting of replacement parts is a matter of some "tweeking". I had one and was happy with it, but their reputation runs amouck. I bought mine for $190.00 and felt I got lucky, because it functioned fine. Think I sold it for $210.00 because everyone was making fun of me.

I would take a step up, unless you have a guarantee you can return it within a week or a month, in case things don't go in your favor.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say Llama is a crap shoot. I know a couple old timers that had good luck with their old old Llama's. There are some newer ones out that are just aweful.
    Someone, at the shop/range I worked at, took a newer one in 40sw in trade. Thing was a real POS. Couldn't make it through the mag if you tried.

I've had real good luck with my cheap, cast, Rock Island Armory. It's been 100%, reliable right out of the box, and has 1500 flawless rds through it so far. I paid $300 for it awhile back and have since added an ambi-safety.

Also check out the Brazilian Imbel made Springfield GI 1911A1's. They cost a little more but will hold their value better down the line.

I have both.
    22925RIASA_BEST.JPG
    The SA, I gave to my partner, so I don't shoot it very often.[|)]
  • swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help you with the Rock Island but my experience with the Llama is the same as everyone else. When I had my shop it was about a 50% chance if the customer would return the gun for repairs. If I were you I would probably steer clear of the Llama, unless you could find someone (you trust) that has one they have had no problems with.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:any comments on llama 1911 .45s any good? what fits? any colt parts ?????

#1 no good comments
    #2 no
    #3 nothing will interchange
    #4 no see #3

even if you get one that shoots halfway decent, it will still be made of weak steel, and will not hold up to 10,000 rounds, the biggest reason not to get one is the resale will be next to nothing, you will take a beating from a dealer, or you will be passing on a p.o.s. to some unsuspecting buyer that will be asking the same questions you are
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the feed back, made it easy to make up my mind... wont touch it!! I will wait and get what I realy wanted in the first place colt or at least a springfield.. sound like it is worth the extra to avoid the problems... many thanks, [8D]