In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

u.h co powder dram or measurer

rebareba Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
hi so glad to find your site.i recently got a powder dram or measurer not quite sure the difference. it is marked u.h. co. torrington ct. it looks old. i cant seem to find what the u. h. stands for and about when it was made. dont know much about this stuff help please

Comments

• RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reba,
    Is this an adjustable scoop? Perhaps it is a balance beam scale?
    Perhaps it is a mechanical powder or shot dispenser?
    What does it look like? What is it made of? Paint us a word picture.
    Our lights turn on with the hint of old shooting tools.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  • rebareba Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for replying. the item im talking about has a wood handle that definitly shows signs of being used and a brass colored powder holder with a number of different measurments on it with a little metal piece that you move up or down to put in the right amount of powder. on the metal part it says u.h.co and uderneath that torrington. i know the person i got it from, was a civil war buff who had a huge collection of items.however i cant find a date on this item. im also interested in it because im from the town it was made in torrington ct. so far no luck finding a co that made it however i just started researching yesterday and found this site. my next step will be the historical society if i have no luck with my research. thanks for the response.
  • RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reba,
    There is a website dedicated to antique loading tools where you can post both pictures and Questions. ARTCA, Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association site has many photos to help in identification, and members knowledgeable in company history.
    It appears that you have a combination adjustable shot and powder scoop that was produced by several manufacturers over a long period, even to the 1950's or maybe even now.
    I don't know how to post a hyperlink here, but you can google search easily enough.
    A tool made in your hometown is especially interesting, and perhaps some local historian will be able to recover some lost local lore.
    Regards,
    Ross
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reba: Sounds like one that I have . Mine is a adjustable powder/shot measure for black powder shotshell reloading.
    On mine, one side gives you the drams setting for black powder while
    the other markings are for ounces of shot in 1/8 oz. increments. Mine
    has shot adjustments from 2 1/2 drams up to 5 drams for powder and also 1 oz ot 2 1/4 oz. shot. Same wooden handle and also made by D.H Co. Torrington Conn. (not U.H. Co. Check closer). Mine is nickle plated though. I guess it is a collectors item but no idea of value. I still use mine for loading 10 and 12 ga. black powder loads in brass shotshells. It is like a tube (with a bottom on the inner tube) within a tube that moves up or down for adjustment and turns into a knotch to lock it on either side. One side for shot and one side for powder markings. Hope this is of some help. If you wish a picture let me know.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Reba: since noonels did, i would like to welcome you to the Forums,and hope to see you post many more and also get all the answers you seek.
    Jeff
  • rebareba Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks to all who replied you all were quick ive gotten some useful information and look forward to checking out all the happenings on this site thanks again