In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Herter's rifle

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am hoping someone can help with a gun value, it's not in any of my books. A Herter's 30-06 made in England(BSA?) cut checkered stock with rollover cheek piece,Herters 3x9 rangefinder type scope, Herters leather sling, and Herter's bases and rings.The rifle is mint with no dings or scratches,scope is clear_but looks like dust on the inside.I bought it to resell before hunting season but I am so fond of it i've decided to keep it. Any help will certainly be appreciated Dave

Comments

• Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DBue,
    Herter's always put out a good product. Namely because when they sub contracted their rifles, the vendor had to adhere to high standards. BSA made some, Steyr made some, Sako made some and so did another German company that slips my mind. Some even had chromed bores, so you could never really shoot them out, just like the Jap Arisaka. It's hard to tell which vendor made them because they jumped around quite a bit. This I DO know. If the action resembles the old Sako Finnbear (?) you've got a good one. Hang on to it if it's in fine condition. Herter's couldn't keep up with their own standards and consequently went out of business. I do not know who bought them out. I was out to their place in Waseca once and I was really impressed. Lots of luck with your piece. Hope I helped.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About all the Herter rifles Ive seen were either 98 Mauser action or BSA from England,there may have been others that Ive not run across.
    The 98's were I believe Santa Barbara mfg. and the BSA models looked like regular models from that company with a little different wood. They had standard and deluxe versions with plain jane wood and very nice high polished blue and nice wood being the difference.
    If yours is a BSA ,its very easily distinguished by its unique bolt shroud shape ,if you look at pictures of them you can easily tell. BSA has been out of business for years and parts are not easily found,this hurts the value.
    They were very well made and excellent shooters.One in mint condition should be worth some where in the $400 range.
    If you really like it keep it and enjoy using it.
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 put Herters out of business along with other mail order gun companies.
    They were a good company and always gave you a little bit more for your money than anyone else.
    Their catalogs were an education in themselves and I spent hours reading them in the 50's and early 60's .
  • Options
    Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks to JK and to D.S.Cole you guys really helped alot especially in regards to my keeping this nice rifle. p.s. I forgot to mention it also has a little red "cocked indicator" on top of the bolt. Once again Thanks Dave B.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I spent many hours in the sixties and seventies reading that great Herter's catalog. They are greatly missed, a company from a bygone age.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herter's sold several rifles and a variety of stocks, actions and calibers on different models. Many of the variations never appeared in the catalogs. I have most of the catalogs from the years Herter's sold rifles and almost none of them sold for over $104.95. I have not seen any go in the $400 range, but $299 is not unusual. All that I have seen have been decent utilitarian rifles that were built to compete with the name brands, by being economy versions for the working guy.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DBuesching,

The Herter's U9 actions were made by BSA in England. They were available in two action lengths:

Short = 7.75" for .222 Rem. to .308 Win.

Long = 8.50" for the 30-06 length cartridges and the 2.500" magnum cartridges.

They came stamped with a serial number on the right lower side of the receiver ring and on the bottom of the bolt handle. The words "Made in England" were stamped lightly on the front ring on the right side.

Herter's assembled both barreled receivers and complete rifles for sale. The barrels were made by Douglas at that time. Catalog prices were: actions only @ $51.75, barreled receivers @ $87.45 and inletted semi-finished stocks started at $10.75 and went up from there.

Several years ago, I purchased a pair of long action, complete rifles in 300 Win. Mag. and .30-06 Springfield for $275.00 each. The stocks were two of the most perfectly matched pieces of English walnut that I've seen to date except for a very few highly customized rifles at exorbitant prices. They were a bargain to say the least...

Current prices do seem to hover around the $300.00 mark and rarely go above. However, you may find a Herter's collector that values your set up for more given the right set of circumstances.

I'm hanging onto mine simply because they are reasonably accurate and make for fine hunting rifles.

As an aside, previous Herter's actions were referenced as J9 and came from two countries that I can attest to: Germany Model XK-3 stamped "Made in Germany" and Yugoslavia Model M-XK-3 stamped CZC in a oval and "Made in Yugoslavia". They did distribute other makes of rifles during their lifespan.

Herter's opened in 1893 and closed sometime in 1979 due to what is bandied about as 'poor management'. This was hurried along by several lawsuites filed by the Federal gubment for 'importation, possession and sale' of Endangered and Protected species fur and feathers used in their fly-tying business.

Currently, Herter's is sticking with manufacturing and is using Cabela's for sales.

Best.
  • Options
    toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my herters in 6mm remington is the model J-9 and is CZ made in yugoslavia....a great shooter!!!!
  • Options
    zoritozorito Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a herters bsa 7mm mag that i have hunted with for 30+ years. still one of my favorite guns. it would take lots of $ to make me give it up. Z
  • Options
    spr1946spr1946 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a J9, sporter wt. in 25-06 with a high grade stock. Bought it new from Herters in 1972? ($103?) Have a 4-12 Bushnell and have taken many chucks at 400 yds. In upstate N.Y.now and can't see 400 yds. Even the train tracks turn befor that. I take it to the range now and than to see if it still shoots. Still as new.