In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wolf 223 ammo in a bolt action rifle?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I tried some Wolf ammo in my NEF single shot rifle and they would not fire. The firing pin was hitting the primer, but not hard enough to ignite the round. It was not the rifle, as I tried Federal and Remington ammo and the rifle worked fine.
Has anyone used Wolf ammo in a Remington, Savage or Ruger bolt action rifle?
Thanks

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have friend who has the same trouble with the NEF rifle in 7.62x39 with the Wolf ammo and have heard of numerous other people with the same problem with the Handi-Rifle and Wolf ammo.
    The primers in the Wolf ammo are to hard ( military spec )for the firing pin assembly in the NEF rifle to set off consistantly. One person posted on here awhile back about the same problem with his. He said he talked to the people at NEF and they confirmed the Wolf ammo doesn't work well in their gun [:(].
    The primers are harder to prevent slam fires in semi-auto military type weapons ( ie: SKS, AKs and AR15 types, etc. ).
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    To a very small degree, as you probably remember, that experience matches my experience with 7.62x39 Wolf ammo in my Rossi single shot rifle. However I am lucky I guess in that every time I go to the range I only have a few fail-to-fire. Still worth it to me for the cheap shooting experience. Seems like it would not be all that hard or expensive to install a stronger hammer spring.
  • oneyotieoneyotie Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no problems shooting 7.62X39mm Wolf ammo through my Ruger M77 MkII. A buddy of mine had the same problem you mentioned with his NEF chambered for 223. He just quit shooting Wolf through it.

Jeremey
  • swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage bolt action and I have had no problems with the Wolf ammo in mine but it is not my favorite ammo to shoot in it, however I have heard of others having problems with it in different guns. I guess it is like some women I know...hard to please. No offense to any present. (jk)
  • moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got back from a Prairie dog hunting trip and shot several hundred rounds for wolf .223 in my Savage Tactical with no problems at all.

[:D]

88d005d3.jpg