In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

the best 22 rimfire in the uk

michael martinmichael martin Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
hi all, my first post on the forum. can anyone tell me the best 22 rimfire to get. it will be my fisrt gun. i live in the uk so i can only have one gun so i need to get it right first time. hope you can help. thanks mike[:)].

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a tough question. It's something like asking what kind of vehicle should I buy?
    Will the rifle be used for plinking, informal or formal target shooting, hunting or just to have a rifle? What is your budget
    and what rifles are available in the UK.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF Marlin 39As are avaiable buy one if those
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CZ-452's are very nice. They shoot really good and are priced moderately.
    JM[:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, we all have our favorites and some have been suggested, but give us some more to work with. Semi-auto, lever, bolt action? Clip or tube magazine? What will you be doing with it? You would likely want very different rifles for shooting targets in competition, shooting tin cans, or hunting small game. For competition Anschutz, for plinking and small game hunting there are any number of fine .22's built in the past 60 years or so that would serve admirably (at least on this side of the pond). Kimber builds a fine .22 if you are interested in spending US $1,000 on a .22 rifle, which brings up another perameter to your search: your budget. Also you should know there is no such thing as a "best" .22LR that all or even most of us could or would agree upon. It just is not that objective or simple. That is why I have several .22s for different purposes/moods.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    If memory serves me you cannot buy a semi-auto or pump 22. Is that correct? That will limit your choices.

We should ask "Mond" about what is legal and what is prohibited or restricted in the UK.

A lever Marlin 39A, Winchester, Rossi (maybe) might be good choices if restrictions apply on the semi-auto. If no restrictions apply I would buy the Ruger 10/22 semi-auto. Fun, reliable, accurate and easy to modify and repair.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Michael:
    For the money and utility, i'd definately look at getting yourself a Ruger 10/22.Relitively inexpencive,accurate,easy to operate and clean,and their are Many Many custom parts/accesories you can add to it in the future.My .02.
    Jeff
    PS. WELCOM TO THE FORUMS.[:D]
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second the 'redneck', they are the best 22's I have used.
    They are kinda heavy, some think a little long......
    but they are very simple to operate and maintain, and shoot very well if someone has not buggered it.

If you want the auto, as 'fishkiller' points out, there are a lot of these around. To be honest, you could buy 2 for the price of a 39a in good shape. (I'd be buying the 39a though).

ENJOY !!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont be bashful, Michael. You owe us some information.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by michael martin
    hi all, my first post on the forum. can anyone tell me the best 22 rimfire to get. it will be my fisrt gun. i live in the uk so i can only have one gun so i need to get it right first time. hope you can help. thanks mike[:)].

I assume you mean a rifle?

If you can only pick one, a Ruger 10/22 is a good choice, *IF ALLOWED* because its a small expenditure up front, but you can upgrade literally every part along to way to (re)build the gun into almost any configuration you like later. (IE change trigger, stock, barrel, etc).

Obviously, its better to simply start with the gun designed to do what you want it to do, but if you don't know and can only get one, this one isn't a bad one to have. If you decide later you need a hunting rifle, you could modify the rifle that way. . .if you decide later you need a match rifle, you could do that too.
  • Options
    michael martinmichael martin Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi all, thanks for the replys. the gun will be used for hunting, we can have semi-auto's in the uk, but i prefer the bolt action. [:)]
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    hi there, best value for dosh is the bruno cz, a quality well accurate tool, ruger 10/22 is most common for parts & availability..just look around feel the tool, see what the guys at the local club say, the older tools are the best in my opinion, try a weatherby if you can source one , this has both uses,as a single shot or semi, a real beauty..regards..[:)]
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Ruger 10-22 is a nice little gun,very easy to strip down for cleaning.Friend of mine in Nottingham got one last week at auction for 35 quid,didnt have a magazine but they are cheap.Said it fired good and you cant get much cheaper than 35 quid.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1