In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on HSC Old Double Barrell Shotgun

roger2fanroger2fan Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find out some info on a shotgun that I Don't know much about on the left side of gun it HSG & Co(then a stamp that may be a chicken or rooster) Then the word "Chicago" it is a double barrell side by side and I would like to get any info that anyone might know. Thanks for Your help.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that it is actually marked H. S. "B." (Hibbert, Spencer & Bartlett), who ran a hardware store in Chicago during the timeframe your shotgun was made. I believe that your gun was made by the Crescent Firearms Co. specifically for HS&B Co. Crescent was in business from circa 1890 to the 1920s when the merged with the Davis Warner company, who then sold out to the Savage Arms Co. circa 1930.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the marking should be "H.S.B.", for the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Co. They were a very large company of hardware wholesalers/jobbers, located in Chicago in the early years of the 20th Century. Many of the "Trade Name" shotguns they sold were made for them by the Crescent Arms Co. The "Rooster" was also used as a trade mark by them.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Do Me a favor and pull the barrels...then look at the Water Table...{thats the Flat area at the Breech End of the Barrels on the Bottom}..And tell Me what is Stamped there....
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link with some information about the Crescent Arms Co. and the brands they marketed under.

http://www.newyorkhistory.info/forums/Main01/messages/528312287.html

Hope this helps.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    Here's a link with some information about the Crescent Arms Co. and the brands they marketed under.

http://www.newyorkhistory.info/forums/Main01/messages/528312287.html

Hope this helps.[:)]

The company history information contained at the website above is horribly inaccurate[V]. A.H. Fox and Cresecent-Davis were bought by the Savage Arms Company circa 1930 - http://www.savagearms.com/history.htm
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HSB&Co was certainly a "brand name" used by Crescent shotguns guns made for Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Co. Whether they were the only maker for HSB or not I do not know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert H., what am I missing in the article? It says that Fox was bought bt Stevens in 1929 and that H.∓D Folsom merged with Crescent-Davis, and then was sold to Universal Tackle in '54, but I didn't see anything one way or another about the acquisition of Crescent by Stevens (in '32 I think). I'm not doubting your statement since you definitely know more about antique guns than I do, I'm just not sure what I missed in the article. Thanks.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert H., what am I missing in the article? It says that Fox was bought bt Stevens in 1929 and that H.∓D Folsom merged with Crescent-Davis, and then was sold to Universal Tackle in '54, but I didn't see anything one way or another about the acquisition of Crescent by Stevens (in '32 I think). I'm not doubting your statement since you definitely know more about antique guns than I do, I'm just not sure what I missed in the article. Thanks.[:)]

Stevens Arms Company was bought out by Savage Arms Co. in 1920... there was no "Stevens" company by the year 1929. Read the information in this link - http://www.savagearms.com/history.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Old habits (bad) on "Stevens-Savage" name on my part in that last post, but I did know the name change. I read the link, but I still don't see where the error is in the other link. I don't see anything in it that precludes Crescent going to Savage around 1930, only that one of the companies that merged into Crescent-Davis had their assets sold to Universal Tackle at a later date. Was this something Savage sold off later? Thanks.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Old habits (bad) on "Stevens-Savage" name on my part in that last post, but I did know the name change. I read the link, but I still don't see where the error is in the other link. I don't see anything in it that precludes Crescent going to Savage around 1930, only that one of the companies that merged into Crescent-Davis had their assets sold to Universal Tackle at a later date. Was this something Savage sold off later? Thanks.[:)]

No, it was not something that Savage sold off later. I do not have a clue where they came up with the Universal Tackle and Sporting Goods Co. The article you provided also states that Crescent was located in "Norwalk, Conn"... Norwich, Conn is the correct name of the city in which Cresecent manufactured guns. No where in that article did it mention either the Stevens or Savage Arms company taking title of the Crescent Firearms Co.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my research on Crescent, I have seen both endings to this fairy tail reported. As near as I can tell, Savage took title to Crescent in 1931 and assembled and sold the remaining parts under the Stevens name. This, I believe, is the correct version. In the other version Universal Tackle buys Crescent in 1954, but thus far I have found no explaination of just what Universal bought, nor from whom. It is possible they bought the Crescent name from Savege, but clearly Crescent did not exist in any other form between 1931 and 1954.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Roger2fan: Again I'm asking for a discription of whats written under the Barrels on Your gun...Until proven otherwise I have to believce that You are correct in your discription of just what it is you have!
    You say and [I quote]..Your gun says HSC & Co....Why anyone would correct You without substantiating any correction is beyond My comprehension..HSB is a far cry from HSC....Lets make sure that what You have is as stated and work from that point... This is My reason for asking whats stamped under the Barrels???? Its possible that You have a Belguim made Shotgun and its made to look like an American made gun and sold thru Mail Order Houses and Hardware Stores....Until You post otherwise I'll have to assume its an unknown Maker....Respectfully............