In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Owning a short barreled shotgun

PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
My uncle knows a fellow (approaching his 70's) who lives in Arizona that he says owns a short barreled Winchester model 37 16ga (only 14" barrel but has stock) that his dad bought back in the late 40's or early 50's, cut down, and gave to him in early 60's.

Im pretty sure its illegal to own such a gun, Should/does he need to register it or anything even though its never been registered or changed owners?

Comments

• 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just don't tell anybody and delete this post
  • PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how do I delete?
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Dont listen to 7.62, a quick review of his other posts will prove why. You came to ask a serious question that needs answered, to be helpful you need to understand the laws. If it is in fact currently UNREGISTED with the ATF it is illegal and can get you 10 year in Club Fed and a $250,000 fine. I would disassemble it and follow these guide lines. It is NOT illegal to own NFA firearms in most states if properly registed with the ATF. If it is something he wants to keep or transfer and be LEGAL what you will need to do is apply for a manufacturing of a SBS (short BBL shotgun) with the ATF, I belive it is a Form 1. Once you have met the requirements and filed with the ATF you should get a letter back saying that it is aproved to be made. Once you have this form you are allowed to make your own SBS. The best way to aproch this is to find a Class 3 dealer and tell them that you would like to make an SBS and they should help guide you through it (fees may apply). Here is a link to the ATF site http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm, follow down to the NFA sections and you can read all about it first hand, that should help.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a very illegal gun. Doesn't sound like much of an heirloom.
    I am not telling you what to do, but if there were a big lake nearby, and you went out there at night, do you suppose it would float?
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    It is a very illegal gun. Doesn't sound like much of an heirloom.
    I am not telling you what to do, but if there were a big lake nearby, and you went out there at night, do you suppose it would float?

No reason to discard the entire gun, only the barrel!

quote:Originally posted by Pieceofpaper

how do I delete?

you can't delete threads with replies, but you can edit. Click on the pencil icon and simply put an X in the subject line and another in the body.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone: First off there were some Md 37s made with a 14 inch barrels. Pieceofpaper first I recommend that your uncle verify exactly what this fellow has. As I said there are some Md 37s with 14 inch barrels, but they are chambered for the .45-70 Blank, they were Naval line throwing guns. If this is in fact what the man has it's not illeagal.

Regards Dave
  • PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No no, its a sawed off 16ga shotgun. My dad has the same model and my uncle verified (thats how I found out about this guys SBS). Im sure the guy knows its illegal, but hes so old that I doubt he cares too much.

Thanks for answering my question guys.
  • aka rottenaka rotten Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Not too old to care if he spends his final days in the Pen?!?!? This I doubt. Good luck.

And Henry brings up a good point.........

quote:No reason to discard the entire gun, only the barrel!
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm old and I sure as he** don't want to spend my last years with Bubba!

Looks like you have 2 reasonable options:

1. get rid of the barrel as henry suggested

2. apply to BATF for docs for a short barreled long gun

I have done this, but not after the fact (as you are in). Someone more of an expert (that's almost everyone) will give more advice. Keep in mind that this will cost you $200. to register, big background check, a few months to complete, and you can't take it out of your state without fed approval.

As ag said, this isn't an heirloom. Is all this trouble worth it?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.