In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what is this scope worth?

b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Redfield 3x12x50
minor ring marks but other wise like new.
had 3 large post with 4 fine post, optics are crystal clear
it also 30mm ring size

Comments

• b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any idea when it was built? I will check the books tonight and if before 1986 should be able to give you a good idea.
    edited November -1
    its well before 86, its been bought for I know 20 yrs plus
    edited November -1
    That'll work, I will post you a value and some info this evening.
    edited November -1
    Of course 20 years ago was 1986. Prior to '86 I find no 3x-12x Redfield scope (4x-12x) and none with 30mm tube. Everything prior to 1986 was .75" or 1" and indeed 30mm seems consistent with the much more recent trend. I have no data for anything newer, and suggest you try searches here and on flea bay for completed auctions. Sorry!
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used optics can be tough to price. Yes, Redfield is a good name but you will probably have problems getting maximum value unless you can prove that is it still tight and true. A couple of years ago Weaver, Redfield and Simmons were all part of a group that honored all waranties no matter the owner. Simmons has since been split off from that group and will no longer honor their older products. I don't know what Redfields status that way is now. Still, if you are selling it to someone who you can take to the range and let them prove to themself that the scope is still good, then you should be able to get 50% or maybe even better. But, it rapidly gets to a point where the buyer can have a new scope, with waranty, for only a little bit more and that is a no brainer. Good luck......
    edited November -1
    I was just courious because its been on a rem 700 that my dad had 20-25 yrs and I was going to replace it, it still holds perfect zero and i can shoot 1" or less at 300 yrds with the old 06 and that scope.
    the adjustable objective still focus' crytal clear
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not pay more than $20 for an old scope like that.
    Abort Cuomo
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the old Redfield scopes, especially those from 25 or more years ago. They look "right" on older rifles. I have a 12x fixed with side AO on my Browning B-78 single shot in .22-250, a 6x Widefield on a Remington 722 30-06, and a 2-8x Widefield on a Browning A bolt 7mm magnum. I've yet to have a vintage Redfield fail me. I value most older Redfields at about $75-$100 if in excellent condition.Take a look on EBay. They sell alot of these. I think yours is a newer Redfield and is worth more if it does have the 50 mm objective and especially the 30 mm tube.
    edited November -1
    the 50mm objective is variable from 40 yrds to 100-500 then infinity
    edited November -1
    I also have a number of older scopes on older rifles, Weavers, Redfield, B&Ls. In truth, I think your scope is probably worth more than you will likely get for it if you sell. As ern98 says there is that fine line where for just $50 or $100 more I can have a new Burris or Leupold. I too would expect it to be valued at around $200, but getting that bid may be difficult.