In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Add Folding Stock?

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
Is it now legal to add a folding stock to an AK? I have an AMD-65 kit I am using to make an AK pistol and the rear trunnon and side folder are going to waste. My thought was to use them on a fixed stock AK.

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Is it now legal to add a folding stock to an AK? I have an AMD-65 kit I am using to make an AK pistol and the rear trunnon and side folder are going to waste. My thought was to use them on a fixed stock AK.

Thanks guys,

On an imported AK-type (I believe 99.9% of them are) to add a folding stock you MUST have a minimum number of American made parts in the gun. Otherwise you are violating a federal law about having an "imported" assault rifle. This in spite of the sunset of Clinton's 1994 so-called assault weapons ban. In fact, this rule/regulation/law was put into place by a Republician administration; proof that few, if any, politicians can totally be trusted regarding our gun rights.

You can search the web for info on the correct number of American made parts needed or someone here will be along shortly and tell you. Or you can contact one of the national gun accessories company (Tapco for example) and they will/have already provided handouts on what is needed and even have parts kits you can purchase.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Adding a folding stock to your pistol would get you a short barreled rifle, I believe.
    You would need to register it before you build.
  • Options
    hatchettmanhatchettman Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you had added the folding stock to the AMD-65 you would have created a SHORT Barreled rifle[under 16 inches barrel length] big No-No., unless you permanently extended the barrel out to 16 inches. At that point you would have to go USA compliance parts, in other words, Use More USA parts than Imported ports, approx. [8]
    In adding the stock to another AK, The same rule applies,Make the Ak more USA than Imported.Also by using the amd-65 folding stock, you will need to Cut out part of the receiver on the Right rear side to accomadate the folding unit. GOOD Luck
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    No more than 10 foreign made "evil parts" - check the AK Build section of falfiles.com/forums