In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Found Walther P 38 & other stuff., WW2

faithfulprofaithfulpro Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
[black]
My mother just died and I found a Walther P38 and a some medals, the man's ID and other stuff my Dad had brought back from WWII.
I know he killed this officer and took the things, they are all in tack including the Photo ID.
I HAVE PICTURES OF ALL OF IT but don't know how to post it. I know I can send it in a email.
The gun is marked AC 43 & has a holster and 3 clips.
The medals include a Belt Buckle, and various others including 1 with a Tank.
Any idea how much this is all worth?
Any Collectors in the Phoenix area?
Everything looks in really good shape

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to send me an email, I will tell you how to post photos. You can then post everything on the auction part of this site.

Without seeing it, I doubt that anyone can tell you the value.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "ac43" version of the P 38 was manufactured by Walther. Over 100,000 were made. There are some low production subvariations that are of great interest to collectors though.

Two main factors affecting demand/value for the P 38, is the pistol being in factory original condition, and it's present cosmetic condition.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:faithfulpro:

My mother just died and I found a Walther P38 and a some medals, the man's ID and other stuff my Dad had brought back from WWII.
    I know he killed this officer and took the things, they are all in tack including the Photo ID.

You will be able to get a much higher price if you sell everything to one collecter -
    keeping it all together, as a collection. The photo ID makes it unique and highly
    sought after by serious collectors.

Alone, in excellent condition the Walther P38 could be sold for about $550 -
    $600, depending on condition. I just bought a good one last year for $500 -
    a bit below market value.

If you want to see the value of your medals, go to Ebay and search under
    'German medal'.

It looks as if your officer was maybe a panzer (tanker) officer. [:D]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The medal is almost certainly a Tank Assault badge. This was awarded to Waffen SS and also to regular Wehrmacht Panzer units. Since you have the belt buckle, figure out if it says GOD IS WITH US or MY HEART IS TRUE. The former will have down swept wings, the latter outstretched wings. SS stuff goes for a bundle. If Neal can get your pix posted, I can go into more detail.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't break up the set.
    I would also try and contact the family.
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    As everyone else has said, try to keep the group together. A collector will generally give you more that way and certainly a collector will give you more than a dealer will give you.

Oh, p3.... Might want to check the translation on the buckle with the "down swept wings."
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drsck
    As everyone else has said, try to keep the group together. A collector will generally give you more that way and certainly a collector will give you more than a dealer will give you.

Oh, p3.... Might want to check the translation on the buckle with the "down swept wings."

How ya figure? You translate GOTT MIT UNS.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you be in such a hurry to sell this piece of family history? Are you broke and need the cash? I would keep it in the family as it will keep increasing in value and would make a wonderful hand me down for your son one day.
  • Options
    KroozerKroozer Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This probably wont be very popular. But, try to contact living relatives of the fallen, and give the stuff back to those it belongs to.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, right. Maybe we could also return Jeffery Daumier's carving set to him.

Since most of you guys are too young to remember, the Nazi's were the butchers who shot & starved to death many of our parents & grandparents. Sorry, I feel no compassion for their families.

Now, if all this stuff were mine.....wait a minute! It's NOT mine! It's Lou's! So, let him do what he wants with it without making him feel guilty.

Neal
  • Options
    tallcharlietallcharlie Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kroozer writes:
    "This probably wont [sic] be very popular. But, [sic] try to contact living relatives of the fallen, and give the stuff back to those it belongs to.[sic]"

Well, there goes most of the US of A. The Indians are coming into a real windfall![:)]

Seriously, when you go to war, you can expect the other guy to try to kill you. If he's successful, he'll take what he can use off your body. Generally speaking, you won't be needing it anymore. After that, it belongs to the ones still standing.

In any event, the gun and equipment are and were not the property of the deceased or his heirs. They were the property of the Third Reich, which no longer exists, was judged to be illegal from the get-go, and is missed only by the insane.
  • Options
    hugepensfanhugepensfan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really feel guilty about it, send it to me and I will make sure that the collection is kept together.

Kroozer - WTH are you thinking. Have you never heard - "To the victors go the spoils of war". Why don't we just give our great country back to the Indians (as someone already mentioned) and the Spanish and move back to Europe under the opression that our grandparents fought so hard to get away from.

In all seriousness I think you would deeply regret selling this as time went on. You may want to take it to a custom frame shop and have a presentation piece made up.