In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

having choke tubes installed, cost ?

calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I've been reading about having choke tubes installed on my shotgun and I have a couple of questions. My gun is an 870 wingmaster with an older 30 inch full choke non v/r barrel. What would be the ideal length to cut it to? Can it be threaded for rem choke tubes? How does the cost for this compare to buying a barrel already made for choke tubes? The gun was a gift so I would like to keep the barrel unless the cost is just too much. Also I'm not crazy about having a 30 inch full choke barrel setting around that i can't do anything with.

Comments

• dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Last time I checked I could get it done for about 60-70 bucks. I din't do it because I found a "take off" barrel at the store for just a bit over $100. I still wouldn't mind chopping down the old barrel to aboutt 20" and having tubes installed.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine were done by Briley and came to somewhat more than $60-70. Don't remember the exact amount but I believe it was about $400 for both barrels and 5 chokes.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took a plain jane 18" barrel and had it threaded for winchokes. Cost was $100.00. Fair warning .. get a competent gunsmith. Make sure the thread job is true ( concentric ) same amount of thread all the way around . First barrel was messed up by gunsmith and he purchased me another barrel. Second time around I took it elsewhere. Now , my gun shoots just as good as your 30" full with a full choke barrel in it ( .690 ) with a turkey choke (.640 ) is is unbelievable. Only thing you lose is the sight plane haveing a longer barrel. I have heard that powder is expended in a shotgun at 24" and max muzzle velocity occurs. I do know at 18" there is quite a muzzle flash. My gun has been used as a home defense weapon to busting clay pidgeons. I also have shot dove with it. No turkeys yet but it does throw a very tight pattern out to 65 yd. Hope this helps
  • calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you all for your help
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at purchasing a barrel with remchokes? I know Cabelas and several other places carry them.