In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

long gun info help needed for newbies!

ancientoaksancientoaks Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
we have the bug...but are SOOO uniformed.and trying to learn all we can...you all helped with guns we inherited so now would appreciate help with one we have come across and would love to have...
a 'Kentucky type' long gun (we do not know the difference between a flintlock and a percussion, SORRY!)...barrel measured from the firing pin mech (sorry again for lack of correct terms) is 42 1/2" long. Octogon barrel... full stock style we think, as the wood goes all the way down underneath the barrel...
overall length is 61 /12" ......wood on the stock (where you rest it against your shoulder) is a lovely well striped tiger maple, very dark and untouched..and continues on under the barrel about half way then there is another kind of wood (looks like walnut) that is attached with a kind of dovetail joint and from then on it is a bit narrower as it travels all the way down the barrel..there is a ramrod with a tip of some sort and someone has taped it to the barrel so it won't get lost....no cracks or repairs noticed..with the exception at the mechanism site, something is gone on top leaving the wood exposed and weak just above and to the side of the hammer....no ornamentation AT ALL on this gun..very elegant in design, the butt has a lovely curve to it that fits my shoulder well.and the angle of it from the barrel is 'just right' to my eye....and there is a raised carved cheek rest but plain, no design to it.....and the stock has just a brass buttplate...no patch box....the firing mech is a dark metal no engraving, no signature, no number...the hammer looks like a tiny bit is broken off the end and does not hold a cock..the trigger guard is lovely, curved, long and elegant...there are two triggers, the near one is tightly curved and just fits MY finger, my husband would have trouble putting his into it..the far side one is straight down...the bore is quite small and we could not see well down it (didn't have a light)..the gun is SOOOOO heavy I cannot imagine lugging it about today...but when raised the two sights seem to still agree..there is a rear sight, still in good shape, and a small front sight that seems quite worn...no rust, very little pitting on the metal, is a lovely smooth purply brownish color....it feels good in your hands...
can someone tell us what this is? percussion? age flintlock? value?
we can buy for $400 and thought to just display it in our new/antique house...thanks!

Comments

• Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Value for your intended use of this gun is up to you. Sounds like it is "like a picture" that you will hang on your wall. If you like it and if it fits your need, get it. Why not? $400 is not a fortune any more.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, but before you learn about guns, you will first have to learn how to post digital photos. Without photos, we would just be guessing what it is. If you look at the very top of the first page of this forum, you will find a "sticky" explaining how to post photos.

"Decorators" for hanging over the mantel can be bought in the $50-100 range. Unless you KNOW what it is, $400 is too much to spend "in the dark".

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A "flinter" (Flint lock) will have screw tightened jaws on the hammer that hold the flint (a type of rock) in place AND a "Frizzen" upon which the flint scrapes to light the powder in the pan.

A Percussion type has a solid hammer, and a "Nipple" mounted to/on the barrel. A percussion cap is placed onto the nipple and when struck by the hammer it creats a spark that's directed inside of the barrel.

If you search the auction side for "flintlock" or "Flint Lock" you should be able to find photos of that type of system. Ditto for a "percussion" or "cap lock" type system.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Reproduction Long Rifle to Me...The Two Piece Stock is a dead givaway that its most likely a home put together Kit Gun...I'd stay as far away from it as possible...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Captn. Kirk. I certainly would not spend $400 for a wall hanger without some serious corroboration of authenticity. As Nmyers suggests, post photos.
  • Options
    ancientoaksancientoaks Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    appreciate the imput...and sorry if I sounded like a bubble head just looking for a 'decoration'...altho we would want to display it, we are not interested in a fake piece to just hang up. Husband has a couple of nice guns that are completely usable and if we are going to buy something then we want it to be right..we don't need a rare museum piece, but a nice period firearm is what we are searching for..and this one, being very very plain, appealed to us since our home is fashioned after a plain, small farmhouse/cabin...

We will get photos, hopefully today...understand the need.....and sorry I didn't have them. however, I was also hoping to get information on the styling, what to look for, etc so as to help us learn. We know a bit about our contemporary guns (pre 1964 Winchester, colt pistol, Winch 1873, etc) but are completely clueless regarding long guns..so had hoped for some guidance in that regard..and realize I sounded very ignorant..
    Interesting point brought up about the two piece stock...and hope the photos clarify..if it IS a 'reproduction' then someone used ancient parts and was a genius putting them together..the patina on this firearm is lovely...old, dark, smooth, without any interruption.it shows wear, but in all the right places (at least to our eyes) .the two piece stock struck us as a repair...a very very old repair from the color and patina on the two woods and joinery..kind of a dovetail..we had surmised that perhaps this forward part of the stock had been broken and required replacement. but obviously we know nothing and could be very very wrong...
    will be anxious to get the photos posted and then see what the response is. again, thank you for your time.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Nearly all guns have (or had) some type of markings (stamps in the metal) of who the maker/MFG was. That info if you can find it, is extremely important.
    As others have pointed out, just because it LOOKS old, doesn't mean it is. There are lots of modern made reproductions of old model guns. Some are even non-firing replica's that look like the real thing, but are made of pot metal and would blow up if you attempted to fire them.
    Of course most replica's aren't worth ANYWHERE NEAR $400.