In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swedish mauser ( short rifle)

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I would like to know value of these guns. What makes one more valuable than the other? ( Import moarks? Threaded barrel? ETC). Looking at one with no imp marks, non threaded barrel, excelelnt condition, nice wood, good bore, all numbers match? Early 1900's gun. Carl Gustaff. 700.00???????

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too high even for a non import, unless it's near museum quality. This would be an 1896/38 model rifle. The "true" '38's were made by Husqvarna Aktielburg in the early 40's. The true '38 has a bent bolt ala the 1894 carbine, whereas the rearsenaled '96/38 hasa straight bolt and will be arsenal marked from Carl Gustavs or other Arsenals (I think some were even done off the few Oberndorf contract guns made)normally from the early part of the 20th century.

Don't get me wrong...I have owned several of each over the years and the best shooter of the lot was a 1914 CarlGustavs '96/38. I have sold all of them now and have a number of early '96's; one an 1899 Oberndorf that I particularly cherish. All will be at least good shooters unless Bubba'ed in some way.

As far as my take on values...first off, consult the closed auctions in a search and see what real world prices are. Since this gun is not imoport marked, that is a plus. Non threaded barrel also a plus. The blank firing attachment generally brings values down a bit. Was made for the attachment of a trap that collected the unburnt fragments of wood from the "bullet "tip in these rounds, and was a later development so indicates late rearsenal. Also keep in mind that these guns tend to be so nice as a result of the excellent Swedish arsenal system. They kept their service rifles in superb shape and the average Swede soldier must have had to do a billion push ups if caught with a poorly kept rifle. But I digress. If these guns have a bunch of crown stamps, that means someone in an arsenal banged that in there after servicing the gun. Everything matching is of course a plus. Check the stock disc. There should be a triangular stamp beside a row of numbers in two places. The first will have a stamp (or none...that's REALLY good)over the numbers 1,2 or 3. That is the amount of "rust" in the barrel on inpsection, and is sometimes blank because it is an unrearsenaled gun. The next triangle will be over a series of numbers that start at (I think... going from memory here)7, for a bore diameter of 6.47mm, through around 5, for 6.55mm (the numbers appear as 7,8,9,0,1,2,3,4,5 for increasing diameter in hundredths of mm's), after which the rifle was removed from sevice or rebarreled. Sometimes there will be 2 sets of stamps...that means it was in twice for rearsenaling. normally, there were removed at number 3 or otherwise unserviceable.

As far as desireability (of the standard military guns goes...not the target guns of which I know little and are a field in themselves), the '94 is top dog, The AG42 is next (mainly due to value)the '38 is number three and the '96's and 96/38's seems to be close behind. I would personally not go beyond about $450 for a similar (keep in mind I have not laid hands on it or even seen pictures, so I'm making some assumtions here) gun. If it were a Husqvarna '41 in superb condition...$650 to $750 ( don't see many of those late production guns w/o import marks...they were kept in service a long time and were amongst the last to be relased for surplus). but I would have to be really impressed with it. Ag 42's are around $900 for a great gun (normally import and EP'ed). '94's can fetch upwards of $1200 in superior condition. Most really nice '96's (all these I speak of are non-threaded) will get around $450 and the Oberndorf guns run about $100 more.

In short, I doubt I would be chomping at the bit on this one. My guess...he might think he has a "true" '38 and those will show higher in the books. Unless there is something I am missing here (and someone please correct me if I'm leading him astray!), I would bargain really hard or take a pass entirely. Good luck...gorgeous rifles at any rate.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your post isn't clear. It would be better if you could post photos. The first original Swede short rifles didn't appear until the late 1930's. If your rifle is dated in the "early 1900's", chances are it's a cut down Model 1896 Infantry Rifle.

With out photos it's impossible to appraise? There are a lot of sites on line devoted to the Swede military Mauser rifles. Do a GOOGLE search, perhaps you can find one similar to the one your inquiring about.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are great little rifles, I have one.
    Somebody must think they have the M94 Swede carbine, rather than the 96/38 rifle, to be asking $700.

By the way, kydstr, my 96/38 does have the bent bolt.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Allen,
    Yeah, I guess I left that out of the post...they were not ALL straight bolts. Also agree that someone thinks they have something they don't!!!