In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gunsmithing advice?

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a couple .22 rifle projects that require some new sights be installed. These are older rifles that have smaller than 3/8" dovetails. But 3/8" dovetail replacements are all I could find.
So I bought a dovetail file and I'm getting ready to attempt the dovetail widening job.
Any tips from the experts?
Should I file on one side only or widen on BOTH sides?
Thanks in advance for any helpfull advice. Fatstrat

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awhile back, I had the same problem with a 70 year old Remington Model 34. I believe it best to try to alter the dimensions of the dovetail on the sight rather then the dovetail on the rifle. As it's possible on a older rifle for the dove to have been cut/filed on a taper. Try rubbing the bottom of the sight on a piece of fine grit emmory cloth placed on a flat surface. Do this on a trial and error basis to see if the sight will fit in the rifles dovetail. As the rifle dovetail may be tapered, also chamfer the ends of the sight dovetail to permit it start easily into the rifles dovetail.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to purchase a dovetail file from brownells. You will end up with the proper angle and a professional job.[:D]

OldFool.jpg
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old Fool
    You need to purchase a dovetail file from brownells. You will end up with the proper angle and a professional job.[:D]

OldFool.jpg

I already bought the file.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    One thing to consider If working normal wear rifles it is easier to enlarge the dovetail on the barrel but If these are collector of to be collector items in the future[?][?]Then I suggest you change the replacement sights as Rufe snow said [:)]once you go to larger dovetail on barrel you can never go back to original size if you are someone tries to RESTORE your rifles. [:(]
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, one thing I learned from just tinkering around, is its always better to modify the part to fit your gun, than your gun to fit your part.

If you modify the sight and mess up, no biggy. If you modify the barrel and mess up, you'll wish you would have just tried modifying the sight...
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you contacted Numrich/gunparts corp and asked if they have original sight for those rifles? I'm often surprised at what they can come up with.
  • Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice all. The three R's are.
    1 Always alter the smaller piece if possible.
    2 Always alter the piece that's the easiest to do ??
    3 Always alter the cheapest piece. Remember the value of the whole firearm. When you are done doing your thing, it should appear that its never been worked on at all.
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    Yea, one thing I learned from just tinkering around, is its always better to modify the part to fit your gun, than your gun to fit your part.

If you modify the sight and mess up, no biggy. If you modify the barrel and mess up, you'll wish you would have just tried modifying the sight...

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!! You are absolutely correct!!!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I modify the part to fit the original dove tail, like everyone else said. That way if you find a original sight you can put it in and keep the value of the gun.