In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

922R Compliance ?

M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Question about 922r compliance, specifically for the Saiga long guns but also for the other "evil" imported semi-auto rifles. As sold by the importer/distributor/retailer the guns are 922r compliant w/o the required number of US manufactured parts. Am I correct in thinking that once the gun has been modified by the addition of say a TAPCO Intrafuse stock the gun is no longer 922r compliant and that additional US manufactured parts must be installed to make the minimum number of US parts? If this is the case wouldn't the insertion of a US made hi-cap magazine also make the gun non 922r compliant?

Comments

• Options
    M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I wanted to swap out the thumbhole stock on a Norinco Mak 90 Sporter to the more traditional type Polytech/Norinco pistol grip/stock combination.What do I need to take into consideration? Can I just swap them out or do I have to have a certain # of American parts?
  • Options
    GUTSSGUTSS Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beleive to make it legal you have to have six compliance parts if it has a stamped receiver and five if it is a milled receiver to change it from ban configuration to pre-ban configuration. I changed the stock on my Bulgarian SLR96 and I had to put US furniture and a US magazine, which ended up being six parts.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This site http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103936 primarily focusses on the SKS, but many of the laws and regulations also apply to the AK. If you read the information and follow the links it will explain the requirements for the U.S. made parts.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    You'll need 10 or less non-US made "evil parts".

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions) (receiver and trunion are 1 piece if milled)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13) Sears (in the AK, the trigger and sear are 1 piece)
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Buttstocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floorplates

I'd personally avoid the magazine bodies, followers and floor plates in your count, since just putting in a surplus mag will be "making" a non-compliant rifle.