In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sig P6 Problems

MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Over the past month I have acquired two former German police issue Sig P6s. One is 1978 vintage; the other 1988. And both have the same problem: frequent failure to fully put a round into battery. The problem is particulary acute with one type of remanufactured ammo I've been buying for practice sessions. The pistols will discharge a round, recoil and the next round will fail to fully seat, jamming the weapon so hard that manually moving the slide is impossible. At the range last night an armorer used a plastic mallet to knock the slide forward into battery and I fired the weapon OK. Sometimes the next round would jam, sometimes not. The armorer recommended I have a gunsmith do a minor reaming adjustment to the chamber. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this type of problem?

Comments

• Options
    moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both of mine work well with Ball ammo any type of hollow points it won't function.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do the S/N of the frame and barrel match?

You mention problems in particular with a specific load. Is this factory or reload.

As this was an issued weapon and i fthe numbers match and if the chamber looks clean, I would suspect the problem could be with the ammunition.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    What you're experiencing is common.

The freebore on P6's is slightly short, being designed for ball ammunition with a shorter ogive bullet than you're apparently using. What you're experiencing is the bullet contacting the rifling before the round is fully seated in the chamber.

To demonstrate this for yourself, when you experience this remove the problem cartridge and inspect the bullet. You'll see markings from contact with the rifling.

In order to use a wide range of ammo you'll need to have the chamber reamed slightly. No huge deal.

I don't recommend forcing or hammering the slide forward on one of these over-length rounds. You'd possibly just be pushing the bullet down into the case, causing a serious increase in pressure.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely an ammo problem.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    Definitely an ammo problem.Sort of, but only if you want to use ammo the pistol wasn't designed to shoot.

The P6 wasn't intended to be a commercial model. It was based on a 225, but built to German military specs and designed to function with their milspec load. Many other cartridges are comparable and will work fine, just not those with a longer ogive bullet.
  • Options
    MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first range session involved only Tennesse Cartridge remanufactured 115 gr. ammo from two separate boxes bought at different times from different sellers. On Monday I went to a local store and bought 1 box each of Winchester Target 124gr., American Eagle 115 gr. and Sperry Lawman 124 gr. That evening I went back to the range and shot four magazines worth of each of the three new bullet types. I had two stovepipes (1 each with the American Eagle and Sperry) that may have been caused by failing to have a firm enough grip on the pistol. Otherwise there were no issues of any kind. And it is a sweet shooter. Clearly ammo is the underlying issue and the ogive explanation seems the most likely contributor. I have, however, decided to change the recoil and mainsprings to Sig P225 models, as posters in another forum have suggested. Many thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P-6's made after 1989 were redesigned for the heavier 124 weight bullets. Feed ramps have a different angle, and the chamber lengthened. I always look or ask for later dated Sig P-6.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron