In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44-40 bullets

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
can i load .430 diemeter 180gr jacketed sp in a 44-40 rifle. i know it generally calls for a .427 diameter. does anyone else reload 44-40. the rifle is a cimmaron yellowboy.

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington jacked bullets for the old Winchesters and Colt Single Actions were .425 diameter, but I don't know about the Cimmaron. Seems too large to me.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    westkybandedwestkybanded Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. They won't chamber.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,994 ******
    edited November -1
    a lot depends on the rifle you want to shoot them in. most current rifles in .44/40 have .429 or .430 grove diameters and shoot .429/.430 bullets just fine (I've got a rossi m-92 clone that works fine with the larger bullets). The reason most ammo co.'s loaded the smaller dia. bullets was the black powder used at the time fouled the bore so badly they needed a little 'wiggle' room.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use well oversize lead bullets in low pressure cartridges like the 44-40 as long as they chamber without force. It isn't safe practice to fire jacketed bullets more than two thousandths of an inch or so over bore (groove) diameter. For that reason I'd slug the barrel to see what you have.
    Using black powder, undersize lead bullets do bump up to bore diameter and can shoot accurately.
    An extreme example of this is the 41 Long Colt .