In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62 NATO Mil Sup Rifles

chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
As I posted elsewhere, I recently acquired an Enfield 2A in this caliber. I see there are Mausers and a few US surplus rifles chambered for this way as well. Any of these considered more worthwhile than the others? I want something to shoot as much if not more than collectible. I fell in love with the surplus rifles after I took a chance on a Mosin Nagant. I got rid of my CETME with the intention of using my C&R to get more bolt action mil sup in 7.62 NATO. I have seen the Israeli K98s, the different Mausers and Enfields (including the Ishapores) I like the NATO round so I would like to put together a collection around it.

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would only shoot commercial 308 winchester rounds in The Mauser 98 guns. However you will find most of them are beat to hell. The Israelis, at best, tended to neglect their guns, and at worst, beat the bejesus out of them in their wars.

The Spanish small ring mausers and Enfields would be best to use NATO loaded 7.62 surplus. The Ishapore Enfields are a bit stronger than the British ones, since they were designed for the 7.62 NATO, and they may eat a 308 now and again, but the higher pressures of the 308 would, overtime, create the possibility of issues.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Build up a FAL or three...
  • Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.allans-armory.com he is a good guy to deal with and had some of the Israeli mausers. In a bolt action I would not think twice of shooting a 308 or 7.62, unless a small ring mauser (which I would not shoot a steady diet of either through). Besides the israeli mausers, enfields, the only other 308 I can think of is the chilean 7.62 mauser (built on a small ring action) 308 or 7.62 was an automatic round, after the end of bolt rifles. So you only get emrgancy type rifles.