In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The definition of historic firearms

barcelone30barcelone30 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
The definition of historic firearms, weapons loading mouth and weapons and METAL CARTRIDGE manufactured before 1899.
yes or no

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Yes.

But only yes in the United States.

The destination country needs to accept the shipment in accordance with their laws.

And you will need to contact an exporter (Simpson,LTD for one) to clear the firearm outbound from the US. That will guarantee that the shipment paperwork is complete. Follow their (Simpson,LTD) instructions. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wrong, I did not need permission from my country, legislation is the same for everyone, not weapons collectors obligation carrier.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by barcelone30
    wrong, I did not need permission from my country, legislation is the same for everyone, not weapons collectors obligation carrier.
    You will need to obtain an import license to have the gun brought into the US. I have no idea how that is done.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1

What is the question or you point?

In the US there is no ATF (people who regulate firearms) class called historic firearms, so there is no legal catagory for them. There is legally a group of firearms in the US call Antique Firearms.

Here is the ATF (legal) definition of an Antique Firearm:

Antique firearm A firearm manufactured in or before 1898
    or a replica thereof, provided it is not designed for using
    rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or any
    muzzle loading rifle, shotgun or pistol, which is designed
    to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which
    cannot use fixed ammunition.

It comes from this link, http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/ssprfsm04.txt that also defines many other Firearms.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As was pointed out in the previous reply, there is not a "historic firearms" classification in the U.S. firearms codes and regulations.

The correct definition for "Antique" firerams is as follows;

Per U.S. Code Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, Section ?921, paragraph (16), an "Antique" firearm is defined as follows;

(16) The term "antique firearm" means-

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica-

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term "antique firearm" shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Important is that the weapons be classified before 1899. OLD ANTIQUE COLLECTION same thing.
    the definition is similar, it means the same thing? no
  • Options
    edited November -1
    French official text;

What is a historic gun collection or old?
    - Ancient weapons which is before 1 January 1870 and
    the year of manufacture prior to 1 January 1892;
    - Order of 7
    September 1995
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Important is that the weapons be classified before 1899. OLD ANTIQUE COLLECTION same thing.
    the definition is similar, it means the same thing? no

Definition is similar. While that is fine for somethings for things of a LEGAL nature it may not be fine.