In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 triggers.....wearing out ???

Redbear57Redbear57 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've have over 7500 rounds thru my varmint 700. The trigger had been reworked to 2# when new and has worked great. The problem started last week with the trigger not wanting to go off. No amount of pressure worked, but working the bolt up and down several times worked occasionally. The bolt would cock, but the gun would not fire. Taking the action out of the stock and cleaning the trigger group and disassembling & cleaning the bolt worked great, but after 50 rounds or so, the trigger refused to go off again. Could it possibly be worn out? Suggestions, or should I just throw this one away and get a Jewell?

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a couple of model 700's with similar symptoms. In the case of each of them the trigger assemblies were gunked up with WD 40. I suppose you know that WD 40 is not a lubricant. Even if you used it, cleaning the trigger assembly should have removed the sticky residue. Probably not a good answer to your question but I thought it relevant.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,994 ******
    edited November -1
    it probable just needs to be adjusted again (or disassembled and cleaned very well). 700 triggers don'r wear out (at least in your lifetime).
  • Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the over travel adjustment/sear engagement screw. It sounds like it may be moving under recoil. After setting properly, the adjustment screws should have blue loctite,clear nail polish or somthing on them to keep them from changing settings/moving in or out. A lot of people simply start turning them and leave them at a final adjustment and expect them to stay there. If you look at a factory trigger you will see that there is something akin to clear polish applied to keep these screws from moving. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been cleaning it with brake cleaner and have never put WD 40 in it. The screws were sealed again after I reworked it to 2#, but, I like the idea of re-doing the travel adjustment/ sear engagement screws.....good idea. Glad to hear it won't be wearing out in my lifetime. I'm not goinbg to tackle this right away, so if there are any more idea's out there, fire away and thanks for the input.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you've already done the deep cleaning bit, you might want to check your overtravel screw especially when doing the readjustment. From what I know of Rem 700 triggers, if the thing were to wear out I think it would tend to go "bang" when it should not rather than the reverse. I suppose worst case scenario is that you have to pick up a new one from Brownells for $55.00, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    has the bolt ever been disassembled and had the interior cleaned as well as the spring and firing pin?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, the bolt's been disassembled and completed cleaned, inside and out. I'll going to re-adjust the trigger pull weight to a slight higher setting. Hopefully that will cure the problem. Thanks for the valuable input....[:)]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,994 ******
    edited November -1
    "I'll going to re-adjust the trigger pull weight to a slight higher setting."..........actualy it sounds like carolinashooter said, the overtravel limit screw is in to far.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up.....I may have to re-do all 3 screws, but I'll try your suggestion first.