In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1940 dated Luger

davidh5000davidh5000 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have the chance to pick up a 1940 chamber dated luger. The toggle is coded with the number 42. It is an all matching number gun, except the magazine of course. The problem is the entire gun has been stripped of its original finish. My question is whats it worth now and should I have it redone or leave it alone. I really don't want to throw good money after bad.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago someone gave me an abused Luger. I figured I'd get it refinished cheap, & have a decent shooter. Unfortunately, I didn't have a digital camera so that I could post pictures for my friends on the Internet to help me evaluate the pistol (understandable, as neither the digital camera nor the Internet had been invented). I didn't know anything about Lugers, so I was unable to tell how bad it was. I got $75 into the job before my gunsmith was able to determine how badly it was damaged by corrosive ammo, & I ended up selling it for parts.

Don't repeat my mistake. Take the gun if it's being offered for free; otherwise, walk away. Obviously, someone else gave up on it.

Neal
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The 1940 luger will only be dipped HOT blued so not like early RUST bluing.Bluing only protects the gun from getting rusted .Being as it is currently stripped the cost of bluing will be out of your pocket but will not increase the value,. Much if ANY. THE 42 is code for the maker Mauser.

EDIT$300.00 go for it just dont try to blue it yourself.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on how the original finish was removed would affect it's value. If the original finish was just removed by vapor blasting with plastic beads, the luger would still have substantial value. On the other hand if bubba desecrated it with a belt sander, it would be a worthless POS. We really need quality photos for accurate identification and valuation.
  • davidh5000davidh5000 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whoever removed the finish did a quality job of it. All of the waffenampts are clearly visible. It has not been polished and there are no rounding of the edges of the gun. I personally have never redone or owned any redone guns as I like originality. I am able to pick this one up for $300 and it has a nice shiny bore yet. If nothing else it will be a good shooter. I am just betwixed and betweenede on what to do with it if I get it.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by davidh5000
    Whoever removed the finish did a quality job of it. All of the waffenampts are clearly visible. It has not been polished and there are no rounding of the edges of the gun. I personally have never redone or owned any redone guns as I like originality. I am able to pick this one up for $300 and it has a nice shiny bore yet. If nothing else it will be a good shooter. I am just betwixed and betweenede on what to do with it if I get it.

Per your description, I would jump on it for $300. It would be worth way more than that if you parted it out on the auction.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good show on the History Channel about the Luger. Took around 1000 machining operations to complete one, hence the switch to the P38. I would have it at least reblued by someone with experience in keeping it as original as possible, without spending lots. It is a great feat of engineering in the world of firearms.....
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the $300. Go for it.

Look at it again carefully b4 handing over the cash.
  • drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    I don't mean to be giving plugs to folks, but there is a fellow who lists over on the auction side--Lugerman--who is one of the best in the business. He doesn't have anything posted over there right now, but you can find him through google. It will cost more than the $300 you mention, but it will be right! When he is done, it will look like the day it came out of the factory. Since no one is making original lugers anymore, a "reasonable" expecation for yours after refinishing would be somewhere in the $1000 to $1200 range. At least that is what I see refinished lugers sell for on other sites. Best of luck and we'd like to see some pictures after it's done.
  • d-squared-square Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $300 buy it. It is worth more in parts alone. Since the original finish is gone it's relagated to Shooter status by collectors. If you want a professional restoration done it will cost you in both dollars and time. I would just put a general reblue on it and use it as a shooter. There are still plenty of original finish Lugers to collect.
  • davidh5000davidh5000 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well.. now the Luger has jumped in price from $300 to $500. I would have picked it up at $300 but to jump it up $200 for no reason other than not jumping on it at that very second just don't seem right. So looks like it will be sitting where its at as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for all the input though.