In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 1912 vs Model 12

00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello experts,
I have an informed individual informing me that a Winchester Model 1912 is the predecessor to the Model 12. I thought the only difference is that the name was shortened to Model 12 around 1919, the manufacture year of my 16 gauge (according to G. Maddis).

Now, I do understand that all 16 gauge Model 1912's were chambered for the old 2 1/2" shotshell and lengthened to 2 3/4" around 1927 (Model 12). The best of my measuring shows that my 1912 is also for the 2 1/2" shotshell (chamber measures about 2 9/16"). I'm pretty confident my 16 gauge chamber hasn't been lengthened and that a modern fired shotshell will not correctly fit the chamber. It's kind of hard locating a single fired 16 gauge shotshell to test the chamber length and ejection clearance of the ejection port (and my 16 gauge hasn't been fired in about 60 years). But, are there other differences between the Model 1912 and the Model 12???

Thanks for you expertise!

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell your "informed" individual that he is full of you know what. The Model 1912 was not a predecessor to the Model 12... it is the exact same gun with the model designation shortened (begining in April 1919). The DOM information that George Madis published for the Model 1912/12 is not accurate.

The chamber length for the early production 16-ga guns was 2-9/16" (it was 2-1/2" for the 20-ga guns). Winchester made the change to the 2-3/4" chamber for both the 20-ga and 16-ga in 1926. At that time, they began marking the chamber length on the gun. If the chamber length is not marked on the gun, it has was shipped with the shorter chamber.
  • Options
    raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can have a gunsmith open the forcing cone to accept the modern shell and extend the use of your gun. My BIL had a 20ga and complained about the recoil ( didn't know about the shorter chamber) so I mentioned the option above. He had it done an the 20 is now his favorite quail gun. 99% of owners don't even know this about the Mod. 12.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by raskil
    You can have a gunsmith open the forcing cone to accept the modern shell and extend the use of your gun. My BIL had a 20ga and complained about the recoil ( didn't know about the shorter chamber) so I mentioned the option above. He had it done an the 20 is now his favorite quail gun. 99% of owners don't even know this about the Mod. 12.

It is not as simple as just opening up the forcing cone. For the 20-ga guns, you also need to open up the ejection port.