In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 39A Barrel

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Marlin 39A serial no. has it made in 1957 and I would like to find a new or good used barrel. Rifle has a 20"round barrel,2 screw front sight and a straight stock.I've checked just about every place on the internet including Numrich arms and Brownells no luck.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've not had much luck finding a good 20" round 39A barrel but I have seen a 24 " Article 2 octagon barrel. My question is would this fit my rifle if I replaced the ammo tube? The serial number of my rifle is P16448 has currently a 20" round with a 2 screw front sight and a straight stock.Marlin does not stock barrels for the older 39A's anymore
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is wrong with the original barrel?

How about relining which will preserve the original contour and markings.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for a Randy Redman liner. http://www.redmansrifling.com/liners.htm

added Well then you are going to likely be looking for a while. Usually if the outside is trashed so is the inside.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The bore is fine it's the outside of the barrel that's pitted. I picked it up at a good price but the condition of the outside bugs me to the point I'd like another barrel. Receiver and stock are in good shape.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin Owners might be a place to check out. If you're not a member let me know and I'll post for you.

http://www.marlinowners.com/

Todd
  • Options
    T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How bad is the pitting? Good chance it could be polished out then re-blue the complete gun. I just recently refinished a Savage 187 that there was layered rust on the end of the barrel plus plenty of pitting throughout, looks like new now! It was something I picked up to play with, after turning it on a lathe with a file, recrowning the muzzle then buffing and blueing I turned it back into a shooter!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TJ The pits are deep enough to fall in.The bore is fine an shoots well but I would like to have it look better. The grandkids love to shoot and a new or good used barrel is what I'd like to put on it. It was a bargin so even a new barrel is afordable.
  • Options
    T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post some up close pics of the pitting, it might not be as bad as you think. Even if it is that bad, it could be buffed to get most of the pitting then bead blasted and parkerized to help hide the rest. An alternative if you can't find a barrel.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you just want it to look nicer, why not fill the pits and give it a couple coats of baking lacquer?

First make sure all rust is out of the pitting.
    To fill the pits just spray the pitted area, let dry and sand. Continue the process until the pits are filled, paint entire barrel and bake. The same can be done with Brownells TeflonMoly spray-n-bake.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,879 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=462881274
    Hows this?

That barrel is probably no better than the one he wants to replace.

IMO replacing a perfectly functional barrel for cosmetic reasons is completely unnecessary. But my sense of aesthetics has never been in tune with most people.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly