In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 .22 Conversion Kits

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
If I were looking for an original Colt conversion kit to put on a stainless steel MK IV, series 70, how would I identify a Colt kit from the correct time period? Are all conversion kits blued?

Comments

• Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    the one i have says COLT on the slide and 22 conversion. it is blue
  • Options
    celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt did nickle finish a few and they are pricey( i have observed one or two), but never in stainless. And as the previous responder said it will say conversion on the slide.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only seen one conversion unit in nickel and I purchased it.
    Installed it on a nickel lower I had.
    [imgGuns6-10-11027_1024x768_zpsdc2c2196.jpg][/img]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Colt marked their conversion units with the colt name but they had many different types through the years Even if you want a series 70 time frame one the had some with fixed sights and others with adjustable sights. all conversion units will fit a series 70 frame EXCEPT the ACEII conversion. EDIT Thanks JUDGE Colt I have one of every vintage including the early one With the U on top of slide in the box. I lost interest in colt when they came out with all the series 80 Pistols and how they buzzardized the Swartz safety never knew that made a series 80 Conversion kit.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A true stainless Mark IV, Series '70 Colt has to be a relatively current pistol, made well after Colt made its last Conversion Unit, which I recall was in 1997 or 1998. (The Ace II of the 1998-1999 time period, with its aluminum slide and ugly, huge, white slide markings, was not made by Colt.) Therefore, there is no "correct time period" Conversion Unit for your pistol.

All Colt Conversion Units are blue, but some have been plated after being sold. The closest match in appearance would be to buy a Model 3151 (hard to find) with fixed sights and have it hard-chromed or Armaloyed. Either finish would be similar in appearance to true stainless.

Other companies, such as Ciener and Kimber, sell silver-colored slide conversions (I think the slides are aluminum), but I think a Colt should have a Colt Conversion Unit on it, even if it is blue.

Edit: I just noticed that Perry Shooter says that ALL Conversion Units, except the Ace II, will fit any Series '70 pistol. That is incorrect. There is a VERY scarce Series 80 Conversion Unit, with the Series 80 firing pin safety system, that will not function on a Series '70 pistol, unless the firing pin safety is removed.