In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ballard action question

upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Recently bought a Ballard action in good condition it is marked as a marlin ballard and set up for rimfire I can't tell if it was the reversible type of firing pin. what I can tell it is a cast receiver I understand these were intended for black powder but with a barrel shank dia. of .950 are there any small calibers that would be safe to chamber with a modern steel barrel maybe a classic like 22 Hornet or 218 Bee or even a rimfire like .17 or 5mm mag thank you for your time

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The book "Single Shot Rifles" by Frank DeHass could probably answer your question. I think, from my years of reading, that the low pressure cartridges you listed are suitable for the Ballard action. But, a knowledgeable opinion is required. I think there is a Single Shot Rifle Association that you may pose the question to.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A .22 Long rifle would be the safest bet or a black powder cartridge with black powder only. Not saying that what you want to do would not work but I would rather play it safe with this action.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also post this on the ASSRA website. Lots of Ballard experts there.