In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W dated K-frame grips

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 672 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
I see the year stamped on the inside of some factory SW K-frame rosewood checkered target square butt grips.
I have also seen others without a date.
The dated ones look to be mostly from the 80s and 90s.
Can someone tell me about when the date stamping began? And whether or not a model 19-3 4in. made in 1976 would have came from the factory with dated grips.
Thank You

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure there is a definitive answer. Most S&W target stocks I've seen have no dates, and, as you note, the ones which do are generally from the '80s/'90s. A 4 inch 19-3 could have come with target stocks but quite possibly would have had magna service stocks. By 1976 I don't think S&W was regularly stamping the sn on magna stock panels and rarely put them on target stocks. Pretty hard to tell if target stocks are original to a specific gun if they are of the style used at the time the gun was manufactured.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks 22hipower.
    looks like the magna style were common on the 2.5in and the target on the 4in.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If the 19-3 had the target hammer-trigger it came with the target stocks [;)]
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    If the 19-3 had the target hammer-trigger it came with the target stocks [;)]

Agree. I have a boxed 19-3 that's triple T's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After viewing the 84 19s up for bid on the auction side...
    I believe the 4in have a sq butt with target grips.
    2in a rd butt with magna type.
    The 19-3(DOM 76) 4in I bought last year has pachmeyers on it.
    Id like to get some factory rosewoods.
    Just curious if 1976 would have been stamped inside.