In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 ACP Shooters....

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
For self defense type loads, do you stay with the more traditional 230 grain bullets, or lean toward the 185s?

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I don't worry about the bullet weight, just that it is a good jacketed hollow point that feeds reliably in my gun.

All things being equal, I'd probably go for the lighter bullet as my particular .45 likes shorter bullets.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I load 200 grain XTPs for my carry loads.
    W.D.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady Critical Duty.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    230 JHP pushed by 9.9 grains of blue dot.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The same load I shot Bulls-Eye pistol matches in 1965 200 grain Lead semi wadcutter did a very good job on water buffalo in 1966 If it will put one of these down I suspect it will put a man down. I really like pure lead on 54 cal round ball muzzle loader. IMHO it is not the type of bullet but more on where that bullet goes.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to favor one load per handgun. Shoot that at everything. You should at least 5 magazines fully functional with the load and the pistol. I seldom carry more than 2. 1 in and perhaps a spare.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    W.D.

That is what I wanted to hear. I only use xtp-hp in my handguns. Thanks. What powder and grain do you use. I want to start reloading for my new kimber. Ordering the bullets this weekend.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    For self defense type loads, do you stay with the more traditional 230 grain bullets, or lean toward the 185s?

The question is, "What's the best defensive load for 45ACP?"

With the caveat that personally I don't rely on 45ACP at all, my answer is "whichever one you like best is 'the best' ". Recoil, availability, and cost are real-world factors, apart from theoretical "stopping power".

The fact is that either a 185 grain bullet or a 230 grainer will do the job just fine (as can other bullet weights), so long as you put it in the right place. If you don't put it in the right place, it doesn't make a difference what the bullet is. Part of putting it in the right place is practice with the round (which is where price/availability come into play) and recoil.

If the question is between standard 230 grain ball ammo and hollowpoint/expanding, I'd take the expanding ammo. . .so long as it runs 100% in my given gun.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    W.D.

My carry load also [;)]
    my 1911,s like a 200gr. [^]
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The only ammunition I have for my .45's is 230-gr ball, so that's what I'd use if I were to use the guns defensively. I would also never rely on a 'one-shot stop', with anything (there is a magazine under that slide for a reason [:)]).