In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 1873 inner tang markings

bertman1017bertman1017 Member Posts: 102
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I have a winchester 1873 22 long full nickel.
Upon removing the stock I noticed on the upper tang, left side, three initials J.P.P. I think these were factory done as they're parallel and spaced correct and stamped.
No other marks or numbers which in itself is strange. All the other 1873s have at least some numbers or random letters here and there on the upper or lower tang.
Any suggestions for what these letters mean? Thanks - Bertman

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    J.P.P. is the initials of a worker at the Winchester factory. His initials are usually seen on guns sent back to the factory for rework. Last name was Parker, if I recall correctly. I have a J.P.P. marked Winchester, too.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James P. Parker was the name, and he specialized in reworking the existing barrels or replacing them as required. Ordinarily his "J.P.P." marking is found on the underside of the barrel.

I will suggest that you obtain a factory letter from the Cody Firearms Museum research office. The letter should list a "R & R" (return & repair) date and order number, and it might state what work was done by Mr. Parker.
  • Options
    bertman1017bertman1017 Member Posts: 102
    edited November -1
    Thank you, I will check this out with cody.