In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Silicone Socks.....?????

bob 5150bob 5150 Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am using silicone socks to store my fire arms in. Some are long term storage (safe queens). All are in a safe with golden rod and desiccant canister. Whats the good, the bad, and the ugly on these socks? Is long term storage a good idea?

Comments

• bob 5150bob 5150 Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,,,,,a few comments from 'users',,,,,,,,,,

I use 'BoreStores' for my pistols,,,,,,

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-529996.html

Looks like I'm on the right path.Thank you
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using them for some time no concerns I do two or three times a year wipe them down , but I am very picky about the firearms ,
    I also use to help keep the minor bumps and scuffs in the safe , seem to work well . they make larger ones that will fit over the scope and mags of a ar or m1a rifle
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Got some that have been in use for years, still working [;)][^]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bob 5150
    I am using silicone socks to store my fire arms in. Some are long term storage (safe queens). All are in a safe with golden rod and desiccant canister. Whats the good, the bad, and the ugly on these socks? Is long term storage a good idea?

Well, for one thing, the silicone socks keep slipping off my feet!

[:p][}:)]

OK, I'd say the main purpose of these is to keep guns stored without taking up a lot of space or getting damaged from banging into one another. IE, you can keep a bunch of guns in a safe closer together with these than you could otherwise.

While they will repel moisture to some extent, you still have to keep the guns oiled and in a low-humidity environment. IE, they help a bit, but these are not "rust proofers" by any stretch.

If that's the main concern, there are better products for long term storage (ie the moisture proof barrier bags with dessicant inside).
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have a couple but I'm reluctant to have anything touching the guns for extended periods of time, so I only use them when I'm taking the gun somewhere. Otherwise the gun is naked, except for a coating of RIG.
  • bob 5150bob 5150 Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you everybody, your opinions are appreciated.
    -Bob
  • Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had silicone gun socks on every one of my firearms for the last ten years and have never had a problem of any kind. No problems with the silicone affecting the wood or metal finish. No problems with the firearms becoming slippery. I think the socks protect against moisture very well, but more importantly, they protect against safe dings. How many guns do you see on the auction side that are listed as unfired, but have multiple safe dings! I try to be as careful as I can taking guns in an out of my safes, but I slip once in a while, so the socks are my insurance policy. On the down side, putting socks on all the guns makes it tough to find one in the crowd. So, I've actually produced a "safe map" that shows the exact location of every one of my guns. No more banging around in the safe looking for the right shootin' iron. My wife wishes I could be as organized in other aspects of my life, but other things aren't as important as my guns. So, in short, I give gun socks two thumbs up!!
  • raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with the rest. Primary use is to protect from dings, still clean the guns every one or to years but tend to move them around or swap/trade. Nothing like seeing a nice unused firearm all dinged up.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I soak em good myself, with silicone and have no problems