In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dan wesson question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
hello, was wondering which dan Wesson is more desirable due to the location it was made? I remember that one is suppose to be made better? just cant remember which if at all. can anyone also tell me the reasoning behind this, thanks

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe the first generation were made in Monson MA. When Dan Wesson started the company there. After he passed away, his heirs moved to another town in MA. The company then went 3 more generations, and various owners, after that. It's now owned by CZ USA.

Rightly or wrongly, the Monson guns have the best reputation.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a site and forum that deals exclusively with the Dan Wesson revolvers. They will know everything and then some. Google around and you'll probably find it. I used to belong but have lost the link.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Monson, MA, is by far the best Dan Wesson ever. They were made with integrity, and pride there, and it shows...both in workmanship, and value.

Best
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When looking at a Monson, MA made Dan Wesson keep an eye out for a "plum" hue to the frame. Fairly common, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the gun. Just a result of a certain type of bluing method and metal combination. The worst thing that will happen is that it will continue to darken - it won't flake or become patchy.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Monson-made .357 Dan Wesson with a blued finish equal to any Python. For a while some very pretty guns were coming out of the DW factory.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly the Monson, Ma guns are of better quality than the follow on because the machinery originally used in Monson with the first Dan Wesson guns was re-used in Newton. As the machinery was worn the tolerances of the later guns lacked the precision of the originals.
    I'm not sure that the above holds true for the CZ guns since my understanding is that they are all made on new machinery, CZ buying only the name and designs.
    That being said, almost all Dan Wesson guns are of good quality and should be evaluated more on their current condition and care rather than where they were originally manufactured.
    Dan R