In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

41ae

zacklazackla Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Anyone still shoot 41 action express

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can you even buy this round anymore since the 10mm and 40 S&W have made it obsolete? I see guns that come with 9mm adn 41AE barrels all the time.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only those of us, lucky enough to have the Jericho 941's...[:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zackla
    Anyone still shoot 41 action express

I think the question isn't whether or not "anyone" still shoots this. . .there is probably some Def-Leppard listening, spandex wearing, 1980s throwback who still loads and shoot this out of nostalgia reasons. [}:)][;)] The question is whether or not there is any good reason for YOU to be doing so today!

IMO, 41AE was the Sony Betamax of combat handgun cartridges. It was a great idea in its time, without anything else with comparable performance, but of questionable value today. Had the FBI picked this one instead of going for 10mm, there probably would never have been a 40SW.

Anyway, in my opinion, if you don't already have a bunch of 41AE brass or loaded ammo lying around, its probably not worth the effort to play with this now. If you can even locate any for sale, brass is ridiculously expensive, and while its possible to create functional brass using other cartridges (eg 41 magnum) to start with, its not a trivial exercise. Loaded cartridges? Sure. . .if you want to pay $4 EACH: http://www.ammo-one.com/41-ACTION-EXPRESS.html

If you have one of the guns that chamber this, you're probably better off just finding a suitable conversion 9mm luger barrel and running that instead. Jericho 9mm barrels are readily available and relatively cheap.

If you like the ballistics, .40SW and 357 SIG (or 10mm) effectively replicate 41AE ballistics and brass and guns are readily available for those rounds from a wide variety of manufacturers.

By the way, there were other guns chambered in this other than the Israeli Jericho 941 and Uzi. They aren't all that common, but Taurus, Beretta, and Tanfoglio also put out factory pistols in this caliber. There were also aftermarket conversion for 1911s, Hi-Powers, and even Glocks, made.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Tanfoglio 90 in the 41AE, bought about 5 years ago. A local gun store had it new in box for sale for about 15 years and when he sold the store the gun was still there. I joked to the new owner "I'll give you $199.99 for it" and he said yes, just "get it the hell out of here ....". I bought a used 9mm barrel for the pistol and shoot that mostly, although I have about 500 rounds of factory ammo laying around. I reload so as long as I have brass am fine, bullets from Penn and use Hornady dies.

Now where the hell did I leave my spandex running suit .....[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have a spandex suit either and think the 41ae is much better than 40
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I have an old Tanfoglio 90 in the 41AE, bought about 5 years ago. A local gun store had it new in box for sale for about 15 years and when he sold the store the gun was still there. I joked to the new owner "I'll give you $199.99 for it" and he said yes, just "get it the hell out of here ....". I bought a used 9mm barrel for the pistol and shoot that mostly, although I have about 500 rounds of factory ammo laying around. I reload so as long as I have brass am fine, bullets from Penn and use Hornady dies.

Now where the hell did I leave my spandex running suit .....[;)]

Wow, I'd love to find that deal, very nice.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I bought a FIE TZ-75 series 88 Combo new about 20 years ago. It has both 9mm and 41 AE barrels. I bought a case of 41 AE ammo at the same time. I haven't shot it in long time. They were closing them out at the time and I paid $350 when I bought it.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father talked me out of buying the 41ae at a show and said, Buy the 41 magnum instead. You will enjoy it better and it will probably still be around in a few years. Man I am glad I listened to him. I became a 41 mag nut. I once owned over 15 41 mags. I am now down to just six and reload and shoot them all the time. Oh the gun I ended up buying that day, A Smith and Wesson model 57 in Nickel with an 8 3/8 barrel for 428.00. Just looked on the auction side the other day and they command over a thousand dollars for my particular gun. I also have a super blackhawk and a few Marlin 1894fg's, all new in the box, except one. That is my hunting rifle. Oakie
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a 41AE Browning HP conversion kit +mags, brass and dies when the kit came out.
    I didn't like the look of fired case bases and I believe there was a feeding issue so the project was set aside some years ago.
    There are bullet designs specifically adapted for the 41AE that I would use if the interest comes alive again.