In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shot gun markings

Gun gypsyGun gypsy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
My brother has a double barrel shotgun with markings on it that I haven't been able to figure out who the maker is. It has Belgium stamped on both the barrel and the stock, the symbols are a N with a * on top of it, also there is what looks like a pyramid with a line coming out of the top. from what I can make of the brand name is W.H. (can't make out the last name). it has a nice hunting sceen on the butt of the stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get pics the next time I see him.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Bolex" may be some kind of knockoff Henry, but I can go to Juarez today and get you a Rolex if you want. Let me know, I can get one for about $20.[}:)][:p]

Will get to the books tonight and see what I can find. Figuring out what comes after W.H. would be a help, though Henry does have the general Belgian history about right. This will likely not be a very valuable shotgun, and it very likely should not be fired, before being checked by a qualified smith, and then not with modern shells.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The N with * is an inspectors mark. I would expect to see an ELG in an oval probably under the forarm or on the water table. This would be be the Belgian proof mark. Without the rest of the name (and maybe even with it, we cannot tell you much.
  • Gun gypsyGun gypsy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was able to look at my brothers gun. It is WH Richards. The barrels are engraved laminated steel. Hope this helps. Thanks in advance.
  • RickMcRickMc Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you ever find out anything helpful about this shotgun? I have the same one, and would like to get any info you may have.quote:Originally posted by Gun gypsy
    My brother has a double barrel shotgun with markings on it that I haven't been able to figure out who the maker is. It has Belgium stamped on both the barrel and the stock, the symbols are a N with a * on top of it, also there is what looks like a pyramid with a line coming out of the top. from what I can make of the brand name is W.H. (can't make out the last name). it has a nice hunting sceen on the butt of the stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get pics the next time I see him.