In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94 with US Property

hiredhelphiredhelp Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester Model 94 that has the "Flaming Bomb" and is marked "U S Property". It is in 30-30 cal.. Other than the markings described, it is in real nice conditions (90%). The serial number indicates manufactured some time before 1910. Can any one tell me about this? Is this rifle unique? I have never seen one at any of the guns shows I have gone to. When I ask the people there, they look at me as though I had some kind of desease. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and may God Bless.
Michael Edmonds

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Michael,

In order for it to be an authentic U.S. ordnance marked Model "94", the serial number must be in the 820,000 - 890,000 range. If it is marked "MODEL 94" on the upper tang, it was made much later than 1910. What is the serial number on your gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dear Bert H.
    The serial number is 8617XX. It has "Model 1894" stamped on the top tang. Does this help?
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dear Bert H.
    The serial number is 8617XX. It has "Model 1894" stamped on the top tang. Also, it is a "Saddle Ring Carbine". Does this help?
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Michael
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michael,

The serial number indicates that it was manufactured circa 1919 versus circa 1910. The upper tang marking is consistent with the serial number. Winchester sold several hundred Model 1894/94 Carbines to the U.S. Government during the latter part of WW I and shortly after the end of the war. I believe that your gun is one of them. They are somewhat rare, but I have seen a half dozen or so in the past 25 years. In order to give you a reasonably close value estimate, I will need to see several clear photos of it. If you can not post them here, contact me at Win1885@msn.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dear Bert H.
    I meant to type the 1919 but I am not real good on the keys. I do not have any way of taking photographs and sending them to you. If it is alright, I will try to reach you at the web site listed. It will be tomorrow as we must leave for evening services.
    Thank you so much for your help and may God Bless.
    Michael Edmonds
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to know the final outcome of this tread. Perhaps you can post a pic for us also.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Michael,

The serial number indicates that it was manufactured circa 1919 versus circa 1910. The upper tang marking is consistent with the serial number. Winchester sold several hundred Model 1894/94 Carbines to the U.S. Government during the latter part of WW I and shortly after the end of the war. I believe that your gun is one of them. They are somewhat rare, but I have seen a half dozen or so in the past 25 years. In order to give you a reasonably close value estimate, I will need to see several clear photos of it. If you can not post them here, contact me at Win1885@msn.com

I'd hate to see your definition of "rare" Bert![;)][:D] I too would be interested in seeing some pics when you get some Bert.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Additional information; There was one of the that just sold (I did not get the number). The one that I have has the "U S" and the "Flaming Bomb" stamped on the breach. Condition, ours is considerably nicer. No pitting and a bright bore.
  • Options
    JesseLeeJesseLee Member Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, I would like to see some pics also. It sounds really interesting.