In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

455 Eley

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
OK, time to ask a stupid question I'm afraid.

I have an S & W 2nd Model Hand Ejector in 455 Eley caliber. I reload. Should I use .454 diameter lead bullets or .452 diameter jacketed bullets? The gun has very shallow rifling typical of these and the later 1917s. I presume later 1917s - being made in 45 ACP caliber - are .451 diameter and I have had excellent accuracy in my S & W and Colt 1917s using either .452 lead or .451 jacketed, but the 455 Eley designation leads me to think the bore diameter is bigger.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slug the bore with a lead ball. If you going to reload with lead bullets use those of boregroove diameter or slightly larger, = .001/.002. Light loads only, your shooting a revolver thats probably 90 years old, at least. my 2?.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The 455 was a .454. I would use .454 or .455 bullets. And light loads, this is a older gun.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    The 455 was a .454. I would use .454 or .455 bullets. And light loads, this is a older gun.

Thanks to all - I plan on loading to a scorching 600 fps or so. Nolan Ryan's fastball would probably get to the target before my shot. [;)]