In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping ammo

YoshiYoshi Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
Okay I read the sticky on it. From what I get from it and what I have been told over the years,
shipping live ammo via the USPS is illegal.

Then my question is; if it is illegal then how are the big sellers on the auction side
getting away with shipping ammo via USPS?
They state they ship USPS and the shipping price they are giving is for Priority Mail.
I know because I know what UPS charges and there is no way I can charge $6 - $7 less to match their shipping price
on the same ammo via UPS.

I now understand why we do not sell as much ammo even though our price for the auction is within line with the rest.
Our shipping cost kills it because we ship within the law.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What carrier(s) can I ship ammo through? Do you have to declare what is in the shipment? Just need some info on shipping laws governing ammunition. Also, I am not a FFL holder. How can I ship a firearm legally?
    edited November -1
    Can anyone ship ammo? Let me know of anything special that needs done.Thanks
    edited November -1
    I am an individual in Illinois and have some ammo I want to put on the auction site. What are the legalities of me selling and shipping? Thanks!
    edited November -1
    Am I allowed to ship ammo with the U.S. Postal Service? Seems like people are doing it but it seems to conflict what the postal service says is non-mailable items.

Thanks,
    Mike
    edited November -1
    Guys, our sticky is 7+ years old and I'm wondering if there have been new restrictions placed in these years. I have a couple of boxes of old Colt .32 long that I want to put on the auction side. I don't want to go to jail for this little amount of money.

Thanks,
    edited November -1
    I am going to use UPS ground with ORM-D lables but I need to know of any restrictions from one individual in Louisiana to another in Illinois. Is a copy of their FOID card all I need.
    edited November -1
    I'm new to the site so appologies if this is the wrong place to ask this. I'm not a dealer, I just have some ammo sitting around that I no longer have guns for. When I sell it on the auction site, are there any precautions I should take with regard to who I ship to and how?
    Thanks for the help.

Don W.
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for information on shipping ammo.
    Whats involved shipping a sealed spam can of ammo using UPS ?
    Do you have to tell them whats in the box, or just ship it and shut up?
    I called the ups store today and got the run around-evil ammo lecture.
    edited November -1
    You can ship ammo from a UPS Customer Center (not a franchised UPS store)without any problem whatsoever. The rate will be the regular "per pound" rate as all other consumer goods. Here is a bank of ORM-D Labels you can print on an Avery blank label full sheet page:

CopyofORM-DLabels.jpg

Here is what a package of Avery full sheet label media looks like, from Office Depot:

AveryFullSheetLabelImage.jpg

Just have your carton well packed and tight with labels attached, and when you go to the computer to make a shipping label at the UPS terminal, write in "consumer" when it asks what type of material is being shipped. When you get your UPS SHIPPING LABEL FINISHED, STICK IT ON YOUR PACKAGE AND TAKE IT TO THE SCALES AND SAY "SHIP IT GROUND" No other action is necessary. They'll weigh it, scan your UPS label and ask you for the money. Pay and you're done.

Forget about FEDEX, and DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT MAILING AMMO USPS!
    edited November -1
    hi went to usps today about shipping ammo lady was clueless,what are the rules?
    edited November -1
    What is the most cost effective way to ship approximately 100lbs of 10mm ammo from one state to another. Fedex wants to charge me around 350$ any other ideas would be great.

WordBorn!!
    edited November -1
    I don't have an FFL. Can I ship ammo to someone that does not have an FFL ? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I've been including my extra ammo in my auctions when I sell a gun that I only have one of in that caliber. This is the first time I have ever sold any of my firearms...but just too many right now.

Shipping is a RIP-OFF!!! USPS won't take it, UPS wants it by contracted businesses only, at $40 per parcel, and Fed-Ex wants $30 per parcel.

Any other options for shipping????....this is a joke!!!

Thanks!!!
    edited November -1
    I recently sold my last .380 to a fellow 4 states away-gun went expensively but completely legally to his local FFL. I have 300? rds. of older but unfired, in-the-box factory ammo. He wants to buy it on the cheap, which is cool with me-I have no further need.

I live in a small Rocky Mtn. community. I called our single local UPS and FedEx offices-you'd think I wanted to ship a hundred lbs. of C4 on Air Force One. I check ups/fedex.coms. The hazardous materials pages are absurd and endless. I have to be a certified hazardous materials contract shipper with a pick-up account to even call them. Has it truly become easier to ship an arm than a small quantity of ammo?

I see ammo for sale on this and other arms sites-often small quantities for prices in the teens by non-FFL's. What do these guys do? What's the average Joe Citizen to do other than 'inadvertantly mistate' the package contents?

Thanks for any help.
    edited November -1
    hello I have 3 old boxes of remington kleenbore rifle ammo 45-70 that I want to list on gunbroker but I am unsure of how to ship the ammo to a buyer without costing a small fortune any help will be greatly appreciated I can best be contacted at gundoc2000@yahoo.com

thanks for any help Dan
    edited November -1
    I assume that USPS still does not take Ammo? Is that what ya'll see? Lots of people are still using them and seemingly not getting caught. Ive told some not to us them but still see ammo getting shipped through them.
    edited November -1
    I know you have to ship ammo UPS or FedEx. And you need to mark the outside of the box. How?
    edited November -1
    I would like to sell .300 WSM ammo on Gunbroker.com that I don't need anymore. I have never shipped ammo before. Need advice on how to ship ammo. Anybody have any tips? Is see UPS requires special labeling, but are there HAZMAT fees? The information on shipping firearms is clear, but ammo not so.
    edited November -1
    Friend wants me to ship some 380 ammo to Ohio how can i find out what state or legal to ship to.
    edited November -1
    I want to ship my son-in-law some 30-06 ammo. Who will take this Postal service fed-ex or ups????
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any tips for me on shipping ammo out to a buyer? This will be the first time I've ever sold ammon online. REALLY appreciate the help! Thanks!
    edited November -1
    What are rules for shipping ammo sold on Gun Broker?
    Can ammo be shipped in same box with a pistol??
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has to be marked prominently on the outside of the box " Orm D, small arms ammunition". Just plain "Orm D" won't fly, I tried that once.

Unfortunately this marking makes a lot of the sheeple very nervous. I wasn't home one day, so the brown truck dufus dumped a package with ammo at the managers office. I got a ration of s**h, and a lot of needless aggravation over that.
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The below link will explain everything you should know about shipping ammunition.

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

Regards,

Heavyiron
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Yoshi
    Thanks for the info.

Rufe_snow, Nice "black widow" luger in the pic, I have its cousin,inherited it a few years back.
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tip: Never use a UPS "Store" to ship firearm related items. Always go to a UPS Terminal.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Yoshi
    Originally posted by Yoshi
    Thanks for the info.

Rufe_snow, Nice "black widow" luger in the pic, I have its cousin,inherited it a few years back.

It's a U.S. "test Eagle", predates the B W by about 40 years. Thanks though.