In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-44 counterbore

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
Have a Russian M-44 with about a 1 inch counterbore. Accuracy is positively foul. I suspect the counterbore to be the issue. Any fix besides a cut and crown?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Check the bedding first; most M38s and M44s I've seen have a gap between the stock crossbolt and the recoil lug on the base of the receiver. A shim of tin or aluminum inserted there helps. Also many have a big gap between the tang and stock, all meaning that the action slides around in the stock with every firing.

Second I would slug the bore and determine if diameter is even nominal, i.e. .311"; if you have an oversized bore, a cut and crown might not help at all.

Finally, just because it is counterbored doesn't mean that the job was done well; or that Ivan didn't then recommence scrubbing from the muzzle ruining the counterbore. Further counterboring might help.